A Mission of Deceit and Heartbreak

'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

"I'm pretty." Reyna whispered, running her hands along the smooth skin of her face. For so long, this had been her dream and it had come true. Every ache, every pain, every torment for this. She was surprised to find tears running down her face, unexplainable emotion swelling up in her. "Thank you." She whispered to Morgan who was still there with the mirror. She twisted a blonde curl around her finger, avoiding Reyna's gaze. "A deal is a deal." She murmured, promptly putting the mirror aside. "Tomorrow you will leave for Brunagh, Muiri." With that, she left the room without another word, the rest of the Witches following obediently in her wake.

Reyna watched them leave, Juniper offering her a small kind smile before scampering after them, a swish of cloaks and boots. Soon, it was just her and Agnes, the Witch picking some thread off her cloak. "You look quite lovely." Agnes commented, eyes sweeping over her new face. "Not completely unrecognisable either." 

"Why is Morgan so..." she gestured with her hands at the Witch's mood and Agnes laughed, the sound high like bells. "High amounts of magic drain her. All of us. Morgan isn't one who likes to show weakness." Agnes replied, smiling sweetly. Reyna nodded, the explanation making sense. "Why are you being so nice to me?" She asked. The question had been playing on her mind - what did Agnes have to gain out of her kindness?

Something like hurt flashed in Agnes's green eyes but she quickly covered up her feelings. "Witches aren't evil, you know. I do have a heart. You're so young, so sweet, so innocent. How can I not be drawn to that?" She flashed her dimples. "Juniper feels it too, bless her." Confusion muddled Reyna's mind, unable to comprehend what she was saying. Agnes must have read the puzzlement in her face as she added "you have a good aura, girl." 

"Aura?"

"Some Witches can see them. It's why we heard you out. Yours is a green, the colour of the forests, meadows and hills all at once. If it had been black, you would have been slaughtered as soon as you arrived here." 

Chills rippled through Reyna at that but she tried her best not to show it. "And the Prince?" She asked, trying to swallow her discomfort. "What is he like?" 

Agnes laughed darkly. "Prince Donovan? He is known for his frequent visits to taverns, for his gambling and card games. For his many lovers. He is a Prince of debauchery. He doesn't love women, only desires them. He wants to possess them. Making him love will be a tricky task indeed. But..." she looked over Reyna again. "If anyone can do it, its you." Agnes's gaze turned to the dark windows at the end of the room, the moon glowing in the sky. "Get some rest. It'll be a long journey." 

They had given Reyna a nicer room from the Cell she had occupied earlier. Everything were shades of mauve, lavender, periwinkle and indigo. The bed was large and plush, so unlike what she had at home it felt like a luxury. There was a bathroom too, a cupboard stocked with soaps such as gardenia and orange blossom. Although after today, Reyna didn't wish to take a bath until she had to. Again, she thought of the deal she had agreed to. Killing someone? Doubt swirled in her gut. Donovan may not sound too great of a person but certainly he didn't deserve death. She hugged herself tighter. Yet, what choice did she have, really? She was lucky she wasn't dead herself after she had killed the Wolf, not knowing its true identity. Reyna sighed with frustration. If she killed a Wolf, what was a human? Would it really be so difficult? Plagued by her own thoughts and begging to be anywhere but her own head, she fell into a listless sleep of stars. She dreamt of her family, of the Library. She dreamt of Tegan being devoured by a Wolf, Juniper standing to the side laughing while her hair burst into flames itself. She dreamt of herself drowning in that wretched bath screaming while the Witches stood and watched her agony -

Reyna woke caked in sweat. Her throat was hoarse as if she'd been screaming. Perhaps she had. She fisted the sheets tighter, as if just to be sure they were really there. She exhaled slowly, head falling back onto the pillow. She had been lying for barely a minute when Agnes burst in. She looked as lovely as usual, a soft pink gown, a plait entwined with soft roses, cheeks slightly coloured. "Were you the one screaming?" She asked, out of breath. Reyna nodded and Agnes cursed. "Dear lord, child. You woke everyone up. Now, come. You will need a bath before you go with the help of my expertise." 

"I assure you, I know how to draw a bath." She quipped back, dragging herself from the bed. Agnes's eyes sparkled. "Of course you do. But do you know how to braid? How to dress appropriately when attracting a man?" She took Reyna's silence as response enough. "Ah, well then. In you go." She said with a smirk, the tub filled with soapy water and bubbles with a twist of her wrist. Reyna gave her a glare before lowering herself gingerly into the hot bath. She almost swooned at the perfect temperature, every part of her body relaxed. 

"So you know how to attract a man?" Reyna asked, closing her eyes. Agnes kneeled down beside her, hand swirling in the water. "I've had many great romances."

"Man witches?" Reyna guessed and Agnes shook her head ruefully, a smile playing on her face. "Not exactly, I'm afraid." She sighed. "I once ventured into...Brunagh. I had an ah...disgreement with He- the first Witch." Her eyes cut to Reyna's. "I spited her, travelling through settlements and drinking up information of their culture and land. About fifty years I was there before realising my real place was with my people. I returned here twenty years ago."

"Do you miss it?"

"Sometimes. Life can become repetitive here. Brunagh is full of opportunities if you know where to look. Days are always different. That's what I miss." Agnes glanced back towards the bedroom before clapping her hands. "Well. Get out, then." Obliging, Reyna stepped out, wrapping a soft royal purple towel around herself before following Agnes to the vanity mirror. She sat down in on a stool in front of it, wrapping her legs around herself. The mirror was silver and dusty, like someone hadn't been in here for a while. In fact, the whole room smelt musty and unused. Agnes's hands ran over her hair, drying it with heat as she went. It was soothing and Reyna felt quite calm. Calmer than she'd felt - well, ever. 

When she was done, Reyna's hair fell in loose curls a few inches from her waist. Her new appearance still astounded her as she stared in the mirror. She was certain she could never be bored of her reflection. "Now, now." Agnes scolded. "Vanity don't become you." Humbled, Reyna averted her eyes. The Witch swept her hair up into a high bun, a few strands framing her face. Then she dusted her cheeks with rouge, lined her eyes with kohl, glossed her lips with castor oil. She preceded to dress her in a dark green ballgown. It was stunning, the bodice lined with lace in the patterns of flowers, off the shoulders, floor length made of satin. It was simple yet classy, the design so different from most girls fussy garments she was sure to stand out.

"It's gorgeous, thank you." Reyna murmured. "Might be difficult for riding a horse though."

"It should take you a day to reach Muiri. You'll have food and water and a fast steed - trust me. You'll arrive in time for the ball and sneak in through the back. Make yourself noticed by Donovan and he'll want you in the Prince's hand - the competition for becoming his Princess. It lasts a month so that is what you shall have to complete your mission. If you don't kill him in that time your beauty will be no more. You will have one day with your beauty gone - to still kill him. If you do, it will return. And if you don't..." she let the words hang in the air. 

"Are you giving me a month and a day to reconsider when my beauty is gone?"

"Clever girl." Agnes crooned. "Morgan is busy so she won't be there to see you off. She told me to give you her regards." 

They fell into step beside each other,  steps echoing on the ancient floor. Its morning, the rising sun an apricot orange. Agnes introduced Reyna to my horse by the name of Darcy - a sleek black horse - before handing her a bag of food, water and a map. "It should be more than enough." She assured. her heart begins to beat faster, the stakes weighing on her like a ton of bricks. "Good luck, Reyna." Agnes says seriously. 

"Thanks." She said, hands gripping the reins before riding off into Valbara's forests. To her destiny and perhaps destruction.