A Death Of Revenge and Redemption

"When you do something noble and beautiful and nobody noticed, do not be sad. For the sun every morning is a beautiful spectacle, and yet most of the audience still sleeps." — John Lennon

Reyna woke to the feel of soft strokes on her hands, comforting gestures that weren't meant to be observed, to wake her from the embrace of sleep. She cracked open an eye, watching her sister stare down at their entwined hands. There was a sadness about her, even more so, from the last time Reyna had seen her. It hung heavy in the air, an extra weight that seemed to drain her with the way her mouth automatically pulled into a frown, eyes blank. 

Nova's eyes flickered to meet hers and the lingering sadness evaporated into the air as her sister leaned over and hugged her tightly. "Oh Rey, I was so worried about you." She breathes into her hair, smelling of vanilla. She relaxes into the touch, the comfort of family. "Andy told me," she continues, running her hands through her dark hair in soothing motions, combing through the various knots after days of travel. "What a coincidence. And what luck," she adds with a breathless laugh. "I missed you," Reyna replies, throat lodged up with emotion as she pulls her down beside her. Her arms wrap around her in a comforting gesture, like she doesn't want to let Reyna go again. 

She shakes her head with disbelief. "I can't believe you two met."

"Me neither." 

She pauses. "Did he tell you?" She looks up at her but she isn't looking at Reyna, finding a spot on the wall to stare at instead. A light blush has risen in her cheeks, the product of shame, of embarrassment. "Yes." She thinks back to Chance's bitterness from the previous night. "But what you do isn't my business. And I don't know the story do I?"

Nova smiles hesitantly and pulls Reyna closer, the heat radiating off her relaxing her, reminding her of times back in their old home when they would have to squish together like this to keep body warmth in the cold nights. "Thank you, Reyna." She whispers. 

She dips her head. "Of course. You're my sister, Nova." 

"Is this the last time I'm going to see you?" She asks quietly and she stills, scrambling to find something to say. "Well I..." she attempts before trailing off, biting her lip.

"He told me of your plan." Nova's hands grip Reyna's more tightly. "You don't have to risk your life for this." Risking her life for revenge while Chance risks his for redemption. Reyna shakes her head, the decision already set in stone from days in Valbara, from a Rite that confirmed her fate. It was always to end like this - to kill the Prince. That had always been the end of her story and when she had tried to alter that, her own life had almost paid the price like the Witches had warned. She was surprised the Witches hadn't come for her yet, to kill her for breaking their deal. But if she had learned anything, they saw more than she believed. Perhaps they knew what she planned to do and were leaving her to do it. Or, one would randomly appear and stab her in the heart. Reyna hoped it wouldn't be the latter. 

"I do have to." Reyna pried her and Nova's fingers apart gently. "I can't stay here, you know this, even if I didn't. I wish I could promise I'll see you again but I can't make those promises to you."

Nova nods, that sadness filling her eyes again. "Live, Reyna." She says, pulling her sister in for one last hug. For the last time. "And," she adds into her ear. "You're still beautiful how you are just now."

Reyna meets Chance in the carriage waiting for them outside the house, Nova waving goodbye from the porch before disappearing inside. She had bathed, scrubbing herself clean before dressing in the outfit laid neatly out for her on her bed. She almost choked when she saw it, the outfit the replica of what Agnes and Juniper have worn but in the shade of the dark green of Valbara forests. beside it, there was a scribbled note that read - Show him who you are - Morgan. Reyna found herself pleasantly surprised it was from Morgan although she would have expected a note from Agnes or June. She hoped it meant that they weren't going to assassinate her, not yet at least. After grabbing a bow and arrow and strapping a dagger to her thigh, she takes one last look around the room. Her eyes fall on the note and after a beat she snatches it up and tucks it into her blouse.