Chapter 10 part 1

Chapter 10 part 1

Matias

"Do any of you have your phones on you?" Lexi asked to the room.

Matias almost never brought his phone to work, he didn't have anyone who would need to text him and if anything big happened he'd find out from someone else pretty soon anyways.

The mother and one of the three teenagers raised their hands.

"Damn bro, what a bad time to be grounded right? Another teenager nudged the third one and they laughed under their breath. Damn teenagers think this shit is a joke.

The person who caused all of this had left now and the outside was surrounded by police and the news. They had told everyone to stay inside the building they were already in, which was annoying, but made sense nonetheless.

Both the mother and the teenager pulled out their phones.

"This is great! We can't really see the tv from here but we definitely need to keep up with the news" Lexi beamed. Matias wasn't sure why she didn't have her phone since she couldn't seem to be away from it for a day, but he didn't question it.

"Oh no.." the mother said after a moment, "I'm so sorry, I forgot it was broken pretty bad just today" her voice was quiet and regretful.

She held up her phone exposing the shattered screen that you could no longer even see through. Why would she even bring that trash with her after breaking it? Better question, how the hell did the break it that bad?

"Hey it's okay, no stress" Lexi assured her. She turned to the teenage boy.

"Awh damnit man, my phone just died" the teenager complained.

Matias rolled his eyes. Teenagers really got on his nerves, especially ones like these ones. He bit his lip and tried to hide the annoyed expression on his face.

"So.. we don't have a phone? At all?" Lexi glanced around the room before the last bit of hope fell from her face.

"It's not the end of the world, Lexi. You're just going to have to wait to see the news. I'm sure the police here will update us if anything happens." Matias said casually.

He leaned up against the wall so he was facing everyone else, but he kept his eyes down. Even though he wasn't looking, he could feel Lexi's sad eyes on him.

"I believe I left my phone on that table" the old man said, pointing a finger out the door.

Matias leaned over and looked through the doors small window.

"Yep, you did" Matias confirmed.

Lexi smacked him on the arm making him look down at her.

"That was so rude!" She fussed at him and then turned to the old man "I'm so sorry about him, he isn't much of a people person. He really doesn't mean to be impolite" She might as well have been begging the man for forgiveness.

It may not seem like it, but Lexi cared what other people thought about her. She cared a lot. She was always loud and obnoxious but the second she thinks a stranger is getting a bad impression of her she'll become the kindest girl you'll ever meet.

"Oh it's really no bother dear, my wife was the same way. Always saying things and not realizing how rude they may have come off to other people" The man chuckled.

Matias sighed deeply, "I'll get the phone"

"What?" Lexi asked a bit louder than necessary.

"It's no bother. It's just on that table, I'll grab it" Matias said casually