Chapter 13 part 1

Chapter 13 part 1

Matias

He stuttered a bit when tears began falling from Samuel's eyes. He wanted to comfort him, but his body froze. He just sat there watching as Samuel wiped his tears and tried to calm himself down.

"Are you sure you want to talk about it right now?" Matias asked and immediately regret it.

It wasn't that Matias didn't know what he should do. He knew he should say that everything was okay and rub is back or something. The issue was actually getting himself to do it.

"Yeah" Samuel whispered "I don't mean to cry"

Matias nodded slowly. He hated himself for not doing anything, but his body refused to move and his voice wouldn't work. He just panicked.

Samuel took a few more deep breaths, wiping away the last of his tears.

"She left a note saying that she was sorry. She never said why she disappeared, or ran away I guess, but I just assume she was overwhelmed"

Matias nodded and his palms began to sweat. He knew he shouldn't be the nervous one, but he couldn't help it.

"The note had all of Ellie's information like her birth certificate and all that. Then it just said that she was already dead, not to bother trying to find her." Samuel barely managed.

"Then the next day an unidentified woman was found floating dead through a nearby river. I just assumed it was her" he finally finished.

Matias once again just stared in disbelief.

"I'm sorry" was all he said.

Samuel eventually looked back at him.

"Don't apologize, it's not your fault"

The two looked at one another in a long and comfortable silence. Matias knew what he was feeling, but he was fairly certain Samuel didn't feel the same. Besides, it would be cruel to try and be in a relationship without knowing if he's ready after everything that happened.

Matias had never, not once, come close to liking someone as much as he did Samuel. He wasn't even interested in liking someone like that, he had given up long ago. But why was Samuel so different? Why did he feel so drawn towards him even though they hated each other for so long?

"Matias" Samuel finally interrupted the silence. His voice being soft and quiet.

"Hm?" He hummed in response

"Thank you" Samuel smiled weakly and leaned forward ever so slightly.

Matias hesitated for a second that felt like it lasted a million years. He forgot all about controlling the look on his face, letting his eyes go wide and his lips part nervously.

"You're welcome.. but I really didn't do anything" he finally responded with an awkward chuckle.

Samuels smile grew and his eyes squinted in a way that made Matias's cheeks flush even more.

"I just appreciate you listening" Samuel thanked "I haven't talked to anyone about her before"

Matias snapped back into reality, away from his teenage like embarrassment.

"Nobody?" Matias questioned

"People obviously asked, but I never really told them the truth. Before it was because I couldn't bear talking about her, but now.." He hesitated for a long second.

"Now it's just quicker to make something up I guess. I've gotten so used to lying I never considered telling the truth"

The two shared a look of understanding, though neither fully understood the others feelings.