Chapter 19 part 2

Chapter 19 part 2

Samuel

The coldness of the hospital stopped being so awful after a while. After he got used to it, waking up to the blinding lights wasn't as bad either.

Samuel wasn't sure exactly how long he'd been in the hospital, only that it had been at least three days. He was honestly too nervous to ask any of the doctors what day it was.

The hospital—aside from being cold, bright, and often loud— was boring.

The only thing for Samuel to do was think. Which wasn't very helpful considering all he could think about was Ellie and Matias.

Ellie, he knew was at least safe. She must be scared out of her mind, but she was at the very least safe with Amanda.

Matias, however, could be doing anything. The officer said he was in jail, so he was probably just sitting in a cell. Probably.

That's what Samuel wanted to think at least. He could be being treated awfully by people in the prison. Hell, he could've done something stupid and now he's out of prison.

Though Samuel seriously doubted the last option considering both of them were worn out and can barely use their powers, it still terrified him.

How much he didn't know drove Samuel crazy. He wasn't even certain that the new villain hadn't attacked again. He'd heard of doctors lying to patients to keep them calm, what if that's what they're doing?

A light knock tapped at the door, drawing Samuels attention away. Nobody said the person could come in, but they let themselves into the room anyways.

It was the same bald officer from before.

Like most everything else, Samuel wasn't sure when the officer was here last. It felt like two or three days ago, but he'd slept so much and been bored so constantly so he couldn't be certain.

"It's good to see you're awake" the officer spoke, making his way to stand over beside Samuels bed.

Samuel only nodded in response, not even trying to speak.

He had mostly regained his voice, but talking was a bit uncomfortable. His words didn't come out as clearly as they used to and his throat was scratchy no matter what he did to try and fix it. Not to mention breathing made the wound in his stomach feel weird, so talking was just that much worse.

"I spoke with the villain" the officer pointed out, watching Samuels face to see a reaction.

His eyes widened a bit and his lips parted slightly where you could just barely see his front two teeth.

"Is he okay?" Samuel asked.

The officer probably thought he was some kind of idiot, asking if the villain was okay all the time, but he didn't care.

"He is perfectly fine, actually. I legally can't tell you much, but we had a questioning" he explained, the blank expression on his face not changing.

"Questioning?" Samuel repeated, picking at the skin around his nails nervously.

The officer nodded.

"Like I said, I can't tell you much"

He looked at the doctor doing something with one of the machines the hero was hooked up to. His expression changed for a second, but immediately went back to the mostly blank one he had before.

"But I will say this," he crossed his arms "I believe that he's telling the truth, and I want to help out in any way I can"

Samuel felt his face heat up and tears well in his eyes. A sudden smile appeared on his face that he couldn't get to go away no matter how hard he tried.

"Thank you"

The officer smiled back lightly, nodding at Samuel.

"Of course"

The two dwelled in the happy mood that filled the room. It wasn't something Samuel got often anymore, so he was grateful.

He was even more grateful, however, that Matias was okay. He was safe, and he was clearing his name. That's all that really mattered while he was in jail.

Eventually the officer fixed his posture and straightened out his uniform.

"I'll be back to ask you some questions another time. You get some rest, okay?" The officer spoke more sweetly than normal.

Samuel only nodded, still trying to avoid using his voice as best he could.

The officer slowly made his way to the door, turning back once he got there.

Samuel expected him to say something, but he remained silent. He only raised his hand to give a small wave before he turned back around and left the room.

Samuel sighed, leaning back into the bed.

He had only been out of that awful hospital bed a few times, and both his legs and his back were getting sore. He could only get up to use the bathroom and even then his limbs were wobbly and unsupported.

Everything still hurt, but he couldn't help but pray he'd be out of this place soon. He couldn't stand lying in bed all day. And he really couldn't stand not knowing what was happening outside of that hospital.

Sure, he knew Matias was in prison and getting questioned, but that was about it. He didn't even know if the city he loved so much was okay right now.

Not to mention he missed Ellie so much. She was the only thing he thought about besides Matias and the new villain.

Ellie was his whole life, and now she was alone with her babysitter. Sure, he trusted Amanda to take care of Ellie, but she must still be so scared.

Samuel, as normal, continued laying in his bed, lost in his own thoughts, until his eyes grew heavy and he drifted to sleep.

Sleeping in the hospital wasn't the least bit peaceful, but it at least briefly took his mind off of everything else.

-----------------------------------------------------
This is the shortest chapter I've ever posted (and I'm not personally a fan of it) but I hope y'all enjoy ❤️