Chapter 21 part 1

Chapter 21 part 1

Matias

The officer hadn't lied about updating Matias more frequently.

He came at least two times a day, telling Matias any evidence they found— which wasn't very much— and any theories they had— all of which Matias thought were silly.

Even with all the updates though, Matias didn't know much about Samuels situation.

They didn't know where Samuel was, what exactly had happened, or if he was even alive.

Matias felt like there were bugs crawling under his skin, needing to get out of the cell. Needing to help Samuel.

He continued to beg the officer to let him out. For four days he pleaded, giving any reasoning he could to be let out.

"You know you being loose will scare everybody. We can't have the public in any more panic." The officer said, repeating the same defense he had used for the last multiple days.

"Who the hell cares if they're scared? I know I'm not going to hurt anybody. You know I'm not going to hurt anybody. Just let me go!" Matias argued.

The officer looked at him skeptically.

"You don't understand" Officer Hinton sighed

"I don't understand?" Matias spat back.

The two glared at one another. Matias wasn't mad at the officer. He knew it wasn't his fault. But everything was going to shit and he was too busy sitting in a cell to do anything about it. How could he not be upset?

"Samuel is being held god knows where by god knows who while they're doing god knows what, and y'all aren't making any progress" He went on, not realizing until after that he called Samuel by his name.

The officer had already known about the hero's identity, but it felt wrong using a first name basis while talking to the police. It made it feel like Samuel was defenseless. Like he was vulnerable and powerless with no way to get himself away.

Officer Hinton didn't respond, he only sighed.

Silence passed through the room, nobody else being around.

"I've been talking to the others— other police, of course" Officer Hinton finally began, "and it's split almost 50/50 on whether we let you help"

Matias tensed. He hadn't thought the officer had even considered letting him out. Much less that the other cops had believed in him enough for the vote to be 50/50.

"Then let me go" Matias went on, nearly pleasing.

The officer gave him a look, but said nothing.

"You know I can help, and half of the other officers do too. What's the worst that can happen?" He begged.

The officer had a look in his eyes, as if thinking about what the worse that could happen actually was, but still didn't answer the question.

"Fine" he said bluntly.

"What?" Matias replied, stunned.

The officer nodded, assuring Matias that he had heard correctly.

Matias tensed, and joy ran through him for the first time in a while. He didn't know what he could possibly do once he was out of the prison, but getting out was a start.

"Thank you" Matias just barely whispered, doing everything he could to keep calm.

Officer Hinton nodded again.