Chapter 19 part 1

Chapter 19 part 1

Matias

Matias and Officer Hinton glared at one other for multiple seconds. But Matias found the gaze he was trapped in particularly odd, more abnormal than all the other times.

The officers glare didn't seem to give off anger or resentment. He didn't really seem to be upset at all. Yeah, he was serious, but very clearly not angry.

Matias kept waiting for the man to speak up and say something, anything, but it eventually became very clear that he wasn't going to. He was going to force Matias to break the silence.

"Is the hero okay?"

It might've been a bad way to start off, but Matias needed to know. The other officers had said he was okay, but it time had passed. Things could've taken a turn.

"He's doing well" the officer answered calmly.

Matias became even more curious of Officer Hintons mood after hearing his relaxed tone, but didn't bother thinking about it much. How could he focus on something as small as someone's tone of voice when he had so many more important things running through his mind?

He was busy thinking about Samuel. He was doing okay. Sure, he was still in the hospital, but he was alive. He's alive and well and that's all Matias cared about.

He wanted to jump up and down, screaming with joy, but he composed himself. He stood still and balled up his fists to conceal his excitement, his nails pressing little red indents into his palm.

He had been so consumed by the idea of Samuel being hurt, of him dying, or going into a coma, or having a permanent disability, that he had forgotten that him being perfectly fine was an option. It was like he learned he was alive all over again.

"He actually asked about you too" the man finally continued.

Matias's heart leaped. He could feel it pounding in his chest and his pulse sped up faster than it ever had before.

"He was asking where you were and even said you aren't a bad person" he stated, his voice bland.

Matias stood silent and still, silently encouraging the officer to go on.

The officer took a deep breath, which seemed like a sigh more than anything else, and spoke up.

"We will have to interview you somewhere else. Then we can talk about it"

Matias assumed he meant he'd interview him another time, but Officer Hinton pulled out a key and didn't hesitate to put it into the keyhole, unlocking Matias's cell.

Matias froze for an embarrassingly long moment. Officer Hinton had to open the door even wider before Matias fully realized he was supposed to be leaving the small room.

When he finally staggered his way out of the cell— trying his best to ignore the pain and soreness coursing through his body— the officer led him through the prison. 

They only walked past other empty cells and closed doors that clearly weren't intended for inmates. Matias assumed they kept him away from other prisoners because they saw him as a threat, but he tried not to let himself be bothered by it.

After they walked through the bland and boring halls of the prison for about three minutes before the officer finally went into a room.

He held the door open for Matias to follow and shut it behind them after they were both in the room.

It was a small and simple room. The walls were beige painted bricks and there was only a single table accompanied by two chairs in the room. A singular light hung from the ceiling, lighting it dimly.