Chapter 18 part 1

Chapter 18 part 1

Matias

He could feel the aching pain coming from all around his body before he even opened his eyes. His back and knees were sore and the had many wounds scattered up and down his body, both new and old.

When he opened his eyes his vision was blurry. He lifted a hand to hold in front of his eyes, his arm cracking painfully while he did so.

He stared at his unfocused hands. He continued to stare at his fingertips, squinting and then widening his eyes in an attempt to make his vision even slightly better.

Finally, after a few minutes of trying, he got his eyes to focus.

He let his hand back down and stared up at the unfamiliar ceiling above him. It was a light beige color and was filled with stains.

The stains were both big and small, dark and light. It was nothing like you'd see in a typical house.

The shock started to set in as he felt the bed he was laying on with his hands. It was nearly rock hard and he wasn't graced with a pillow or blanked.

He gritted his teeth as a headache began to pound in his head.

He moved his neck slowly to the side, trying to observe the room.

The walls were the same ugly and stained color as the ceiling, and the floors were grey concrete.

There was a sink only a few feet from the bed and beside it was a toilet that couldn't look more unsanitary.

It wasn't until he had already observed the rest of the room that he fully registered the bars that replaced the fourth wall of the room.

The officers put him in fucking prison.

He didn't remember even coming to the prison, or anyone even so much as mentioning taking him here.

He assumed they took him when he fell asleep, but he didn't remember doing that either.

Suddenly a large banging came from nearby, though Matias couldn't see the source of the sound. After the obnoxious echoing of the sound—which he assumed was a metal door slamming shut— he heard footsteps.

They were slow steps, but seemed to get closer and closer before Matias could fully register what was going on.

Eventually, coming from a hallway that Matias couldn't see down, four officers appeared.

There were three male officers, one of which looked particularly agitated, and one female officer.

When they got closer to the cell the female officer, who had slightly distracting platinum blonde hair, hand up a two-way radio and spoke into it.

"He's awake" she said calmly.

Matias took a moment to register who she was talking about. He didn't feel like he was actually in the cell, that he was actually a prisoner.

When he snapped back into the reality, the reality where he was locked up in a cell, he finally sat up.

Even the simple action was painful in all kinds of ways. Matias had to pause a couple of times when the pain got particularly bad, mainly in his stomach, where he had been stabbed.

One of the four stepped closer to the cell, still looking annoyed and something unknown.

Matias couldn't help but notice the other three officers making faces at one another as he did this, but chose to ignore it.

When the officer was close enough to the cell, no more that four feet from the bars, he paused. He didn't move or say anything, so Matias took the initiative.