Chapter 15 part 1

Chapter 15 part 1

Matias

Surely Samuel had to be near. He must've caught wind of the new villain being around and done something about it, right?

There were a hundred different possibilities as to where Samuel might be and what he was doing, but all Matias could do was hope he was at the right place at the right time.

Matias spent a few painfully long minutes making his way through the alleys. There wasn't a straight shot to get anywhere, leaving him to twist and turn every direction like he was in a maze. Though he knew where he was going, luckily enough.

Once he was sure he was getting closer to where the explosion had come from he slowed down. He started peeking around every corner and walking more on the front of his feet, trying his best to be quiet.

He hadn't really expected anyone to be there, but maybe he should've.

There were only a few more turns to make for him to be right at the center of Greenlake— once he came out of the alley of course— when some voices pulled his attention away.

The sounds were coming from down a different way and he could easily still get to where he needed to go, but nobody would stick around after an attack like that without good reason. Surely these people must have some kind of involvement.

He inched himself closer as to hear what they were saying, but he didn't need to get too close. They weren't exactly being secretive.

"I already told you a thousand times! We're only here just in case. Unless something happens then we stay put" a deep voice spoke loud enough to be considered a shout.

"How are we supposed to know if anything happens if we're not closer? We need to move up!" A higher and more feminine voice replied, not quite as loud.

The two bickered on about if they should stay put or move closer. Matias assumed they must've been talking about the explosion, but why? No normal person would stick around after that, and what did they mean by 'unless something happens'?

Matias shook his head. Whatever they had to say could likely be important, but him getting to the new villain was also incredibly important.

He spent a few seconds debating what he should do, still listening to what the two people had to say. A few small crashing sounds came from nearby, urging Matias to get closer.

The glanced towards the lane leading to Greenlake, and then to where the two were arguing.

"Fine! I'll go and you can stay here, bye" the woman ended the argument, not wasting another second talking to the man.

Her footsteps got closer and closer to Matias. Everything slowed down as he looked in a circle for somewhere to retreat, or at least hide. He had no more than half a second to get out of there, so he went the closest way.

He wasn't sure how good of a decision it may have been, but he had no time to think about that.

The way he turned led him right to a path that could only lead to the street. Surely the woman would go the other way since it provided more shelter and overall safety. That's what he was hoping at least.

He forced his breathing to stop shaking as he listened as close as he could to her steps. Surely enough, she went the other way.

He sighed in relief, though his problems were far from over. Now he was cornered between the two people in the paths in front of him and the public side walk behind him.

He spun around to check that there was nobody on the street, but stumbled back a few steps after seeing the condition of the area.

The long path from the sidewalk to the alley was cut in half as the building was blown in half. There was dust clouding the air, turning it an ugly kind of brown.