Chapter 25 part 2

Chapter 25 part 2

Samuel

His heart was beating fast and his fingers had begun to hurt by how low he bit his fingernails. He couldn't sit still no matter how hard he tried.

He knew today was the day he'd be leaving. He knew today he was going to see his daughter.

When the door clicked open, though it was quiet, Samuel flinched. He had been in a daze since he woke up, not being to clear his thoughts of Ellie.

Through the door came a nurse who visited him often, whose name was Ethan, and Officer Hinton. Ethan looked particularly happy. Officer Hinton even seemed to have a slight smile on his face.

"You're all ready to go home" the nurse said cheerfully. "We've got some clothes for you to change into, and then you're good to go"

It took everything Samuel had to not jump out of the bed and rush himself out the door. Instead, he slowly sat up and turned so his feet hung off the edge.

"I'm taking you there. To your house" Officer Hinton interrupted sternly.

Ethan looked back and forth between the two before awkwardly exiting the room, but leaving the door open.

"I can get to my house on my own. If you just-"

"No. You said that last time, and I was almost responsible for your death" the officer argued, his voice strong and unwavering.

Samuel opened his mouth to protest, but Officer Hinton held up his hand in dismissal.

"Either you're going to let me take you to your house, or you're not leaving this hospital" he finalized, giving Samuel no room to say otherwise.

Samuel was quiet for a moment. His heart slowed down and he could find no words to say.

"Okay" he mumbled, looking down at his hands.

His hands were dry, and the tips of his nails were raw from how often he was picking at them.

Right then Ethan knocked lightly on the door, clothes in his hand.

He walked happily into the room, and Samuel couldn't help but smile. He hated that Officer Hinton was going to know where he lived, but nothing could take away his excitement.

The nurse handed him the clothes, a simple pair of gray sweatpants and a darker gray t-shirt, and looked back at the officer with a smile.

Samuel stood— he had been allowed to walk around the room over the last week, and could now walk on his own— and made his way into the bathroom to change out of the hospital gown.

The clothes not only made him feel warmer, but also less naked. The hospital gowns were thin and only went down to his knee. Not to mention they tied in the back, so he always felt like he was being exposed.

He wasted no time exiting the bathroom and approaching the officer.

"Is that all? Can I leave?" He asked eagerly.

Ethan nodded with a kind smile on his face.

With that Officer Hinton walked out of the room, and Samuel followed him. They had to walk slowly so Samuel wouldn't hurt anything, his wounds still being painful and aching.

The walk out of the hospital felt like it took an eternity, but luckily the officers car was sitting in the front of the parking lot.

Samuel nearly yanked the door opened, sitting down so fast he got lightheaded for a second.