Chapter 27 part 1

Chapter 27 part 1

Matias

Samuel was staring off absentmindedly, making Matias rethink each of his words and actions trying to discover what he may have done to cause it.

Was it how close they were sitting, with only a few inches between them? Or was it that he was speaking too loudly, risking waking his daughter?

Matias swore it had been an eternity of trying to figure out his mistake when Samuel finally turned to face him.

"I still haven't watched the news" Samuel muttered, his eyes looking a bit droopy.

"The news?" Matias asked, his brain trying to piece together how it was relevant.

Samuel paused, taking a deep breath.

"From that day" he continued, his eyes shifting to look down at his hands.

Matias hated that he knew exactly what day Samuel was talking about.

"I haven't watched any of the news, actually. I haven't even hardly looked at my phone. I've been too scared" he admitted, sounding ashamed.

Matias was unsure of what to do. He wanted to help Samuel, but didn't have the slightest clue as to how.

"Do you want to watch it?" Matias questioned gently, watching Samuels face for any sign of disapproval or discomfort.

He hesitated. Matias watched as Samuel looked up and the ceiling and down at his lap before finally meeting Matias's eyes.

"I want to, because I want to know exactly what happened. I want to see it from other people's perspective" he took a deep breath. "But I don't want to because of.. reliving it, I guess"

Matias nodded slowly, not breaking the eye contact the two were holding. "Well, if you decide to watch it, I'll be right here" he spoke softly.

The tone of his own voice made Matias pause. He hadn't been even a little too nice to anyone in years, let alone comforting. How admittedly soft he became around Samuel made him feel a soothing kind of different.

"Do you.. want to watch it" Samuel asked subtly, glancing over at the TV remote that was sitting on the arm rest of the couch.

Matias hesitated, not exactly knowing the answer. He wanted to see it from an outside perspective, just like Samuel did, but wasn't sure how he'd handle it. Not to mention he didn't want to pressure Samuel into watching it by saying yes.

"I guess. It'd be nice to see, but I'm not in a hurry to watch it or anything" he responded, trying not to go silent for too long.

"Are you okay with watching it? Right now?" Samuel asked again, his voice a bit louder and slightly more confident.

Matias nodded slowly, observing the expression on Samuels face.

His brows were still furrowed and he had a distraught kind of look in his eyes. He himself clearly wasn't sure if he'd be able to watch it.

"Alright then" Samuel finalized, blinking the concern out of his eyes.

He leaned over Matias slightly, grabbing the remote from beside him.

He didn't waste any time turning the TV on and getting onto the news. Matias's concern was starting to set in, and his leg was starting to bounce a bit.

He felt like he was overreacting, but only kept shaking.

Samuel paused the TV at the very beginning of the broadcast, taking another look over at Matias.