Chapter 26 part 2

Chapter 26 part 2

Samuel

A knock at the door drew his attention away from his daughter, who was sleeping on his lap while the two were sitting on the couch.

Ever since he got back Ellie was clung onto him, the two only ever being separated when Samuel had to shower or use the bathroom. He couldn't really blame her though.

He slid Ellie down off of him and onto the couch, careful not to wake her. A piece of her hair slid in front of her face, Samuel brushing it back gently.

He made sure to walk to the door slowly, making sure the floor didn't creek and his feet didn't land too loud.

When he finally made it to the door he took a deep breath, relief rushing through him.

He ran a hand through his hair, which was freshly washed and brushed after it being neglected in the hospital.

He took one last breath before opening the door slightly, peeking out.

Standing on his porch was a pale, black haired man who looked tired, and even a bit anxious.

"Matias" he exhaled.

Matias stood there, staring back at Samuel silently.

Samuel opened the door wide, taking a step towards him.

"Matias" he said again, louder.

Matias took a step as well, the two being no more than a foot away from one another.

Samuel reached up, wrapping his arms around Matias's neck. It didn't take long before he felt Matias's arms grab Samuel around his lower back, pulling him closer.

"Sorry I came unannounced" Matias apologized.

Samuel could feel Matias's breath on his ear, getting absorbed into his hair.

"No, it's okay" he whispered back, trying to keep himself from sounding too emotional.

His heart was racing so fast he was sure Matias could feel it, but he couldn't bring himself to care. He just wanted to stay in the moment forever, never letting go of Matias.

A small cry came from the living room, causing them each to pull away from the other slightly.

"You should go deal with that" Matias laughed, though his hands were still resting on Samuel's waist.

"I should" Samuel replied with a joking sigh, removing his hands from Matias's shoulder and retreating to the living room.

On the couch Ellie was sat upright, looking around the room frantically.

"It's okay, Ellie. I'm still here" Samuel spoke softly, drawing her attention.

Her head whipped around to where Samuel was standing, only looking at him for a heartbeat before she bolted towards him. Her arms wrapped around his legs, almost making him trip.

He heard footsteps coming from behind him, Matias chuckling quietly.

Ellie looked up, not letting go of Samuels legs, and her eyes drifted until they landed on Matias.

"Mat!" She squealed.

She released Samuels legs and took a large step to Matias, wrapping one arm around his leg and her other arm extending to grab onto Samuel.

Samuel couldn't help but laugh, looking up at Matias.

To his surprise, Matias was already looking back at him, a bright smile on his face. The two stood there for a gleeful moment, smiling at one another.