Chapter 25 part 1

Chapter 25 part 1

Matias

Everything about the hospital made Matias feel like he was being driven insane. The beeping of machines, the lack of darkness even at night, the people constantly roaming the halls, the doctors who pretended to care, the doctors who didn't pretend to care, the insane coldness.

All of it just seemed like it wasn't worth it. Like he'd be better off trying to treat himself at home. Hell, if he hadn't just got out of prison he probably would think it was the worst. Nothing could be worse than the prison though.

A light knock came from the door before it clicked open a second later.

He didn't have to look to know who it was. Only one person actually had the courtesy of knocking.

"Officer Hinton" he greeted.

"Matias" he returned the favor.

Matias's headaches—migraines, occasionally— had gotten much better. They were less frequent and when they did occur they were significantly milder, even though it had only been five days. Not even a week.

"How's Samuel?" He asked casually.

The hospital had stopped letting Samuel travel to Matias's room after the first visit. Matias also hadn't seen the doctors who allowed them to see each other since it happened. He tried not to think about that part though.

"He's doing well. He will be able to leave within the next two or three days" Officer Hinton answered with a bit more pep.

Matias smiled. He didn't say anything about it, but he had been worried out of his mind about Ellie. Surely the lady who was with her before was taking care of her, but she must still be terrified.

Not to mention with all the unidentified bodies, the odds she thinks her father is dead are extremely high. Now, in the next few days, they'll see each other again. Samuel would have some explaining to do, but Matias wasn't too worried about that.

"Doctors said you're healing quickly too. You might be able to leave a bit early. Not as soon as the Samuel though." Officer Hinton pointed out kindly.

The officer had begun to use their first names rather than 'the hero' and 'the villain'. As far as Matias was concerned it was no big deal, but he couldn't help but find it a bit off putting.

"That's good" he replied.

"Yeah" Officer Hinton stated.

The room got quiet. As quiet as the hospital got at least.

"We have found you a good lawyer. And a judge" the officer added, becoming more professional in a matter of seconds.

Matias was quiet for a few seconds before he began.

"I can't pay for a lawyer."

He had been trying to avoid it as long as he could. He had banished any thought of it from his mind for as long as he could, but he couldn't run from the problem any longer.

"It's paid for by the state" Officer Hinton responded as if Matias was supposed to know that.

"What?" He asked, puzzled. "Why would that be paid for by the state?"

He wasn't exactly sure how things like that worked, but he was fairly certain that grown men with jobs, no disabilities, and who are believed to be criminals, don't get their lawyers paid for by the state.

"The whole thing is paid for by state. It's such a large case that was called by the police department. Plus because of-"

"Yeah, yeah. Okay" Matias interrupted.