17.

Sarah handed me another bottle of bear, I wasn't planing on getting drunk but she decided to be the one who stays sober. When it came to alcohol, she was the one who handled it much better, so I wasn't too worried.

"For everything that has been keeping us alive!"

"Cheers!"

We clashed our bottles together and swallowed a good amount of the cold beverage. Music played loudly, while the rest of the girls seemed to be having fun as well.

The party was going great as we all danced and drank. It was one of those nights were everyone could pretend everything was fine. A moment where we could live like every other normal person, a cherished time, something we all silently agreed not to ruin.

That was, until our superior had come to the tent. What she might have wanted? It was hard to tell, especially in our drunken state. Everyone was quiet, even the music has stopped for a moment, as if it knew of the oncoming storm.

She began lecturing us, how we might have a day for ourselves but that doesn't mean we are supposed to use it for this type of entertainment. Of course she was spatting out nonsens, no other Captain would be mad about it nor would they bother us. It was just her.

The other girls didn't look any happier, after all she basically came to rant about how she can't drink so we aren't supposed to either.

The booze made me tune out for just a moment but it was enough time to suddenly find myself in the middle of the camp, walking away from the commotion.

My hands wrapped around my arms as I hugged my now cold body, the thin clothes not giving me much cover from the freezing night.

I guessed no one has yet noticed I was gone, since the Captain was still nagging at the girls. I doubt anyone would notice I was gone.

I kept on walking, not minding the people passing by me, instead I observed them with little to no interest. There was someone else I wanted to see right now, I wondered where KorTac's section could be.

A sudden orange glow draped over the ground grabbing my attention, a big campfire standing in the middle of some tents that stood a bit further from the rest.

I could make out figures sitting on makeshift benches next to it, one of them seemed to wave in my direction.

As I got closer it was easier to see who was so enthusiastic as to call me over. Soap.

The task force 141 was sitting around the fire. Some preparing food, some simply watching the flames dance in the night, it was a nostalgic sight of sorts, something that reminded me of warmth and family but I couldn't quite place my finger on it.

Not like my family was ever like that, or at least not ever since my brother died. How much would I give just to see him right now.

Alive, and not the cold version of my nightmares.

"How are ya lass?"

Soap's smile never wavered as I got closer. I didn't answer, only sat down next to him and looked into the fire, the smoke didn't seem to help with my swaying vision. My eyes were getting more blurry with every blink.

"Fine... I guess..."

My distant eyes looked into his enthusiastic ones, however his energy seemed to disappear with my words.

"Aj aj, Señorita. Give the poor man something to work with."

Alejandro spoke with a little disappointment, giving me a cheeky smile. Only then did I look around noticing the whole task forces attention was turned to me.