Chapter 4: Secret Office Romance

Nessa stared at Knox Marsden, her mouth agape

Nessa stared at Knox Marsden, her mouth agape. He leaned back against his leather chair and smirked.

"Fired?" she croaked.

Knox knew what came next.

Tears.

Fat crocodile tears. Women always cried after he fired them. They clearly had no idea he was immune to the cries of any female in a precarious situation.

"You're firing me because of a napkin? Not because I spilled coffee on you, or shredded important documents, or broke the copier...but because of a napkin?" Nessa pointed to the small square cloth in question.

She gasped, clutching her chest. "Am I the only person in history to get fired over a napkin? Is that something that goes in the Guinness World Records? Do I get a cash prize for that?"

"You can leave now." Knox turned to the fancy laptop on his desk.

Nessa grabbed the napkin and tore it in half. "Problem solved! I'll get back to work now."

Knox's blue eyes widened in surprise. Where were the tears?

"I clearly must be losing my mind," he muttered. "Perhaps you didn't hear me when I said you were fired?"

"Oh, I heard you." Nessa nodded. "I'm just refusing to receive your order. Instead, I'll give you the opportunity of having a second chance."

"A second chance?"

"Yes. A second chance to not be an idiotic jerk."

"D-did you just call me an idiotic jerk?" Knox sputtered. He tugged at his ears as if they were playing tricks on him.

Instead of sobbing crocodile tears, she was showing him her crocodile teeth by hurling insults at him.

"No, I said I'm giving you the second chance to not be one. You see, you just fired me because of a napkin. A napkin! It's ridiculous but you did. Anyway, the napkin has been destroyed so doesn't that mean the problem has been cleared up? Yes, I do think that's the case which clearly means the firing you did doesn't count. It becomes void like a bad check or a second marriage for a bigamist who's been caught."

"What?" His forehead wrinkled in frustration as he stared at the petite brunette with big chestnut brown eyes. Clearly, crazy came in all sizes.

"What the hell are you talking about bigamists for?" Knox bellowed.

She tilted her head to one side as if he was the crazy one.

"Weren't you listening? I said you fired me because of a napkin. A napkin which I destroyed, so-"

"Enough!" Knox stood and raised a hand in the air. "You weren't fired because of a napkin. You were fired because you're clearly in cahoots with someone I despise and that is why you need to leave."