Chapter 6: He's My Boyfriend

Usually, the wealthy could the Windsor Country Club

Usually, the wealthy could the Windsor Country Club. Today, disadvantaged children wearing hand-me-down clothes were strategically placed around the main club room to help the press nab pictures of the rich doing good deeds.

Clowns, face-painting, and other children-friendly activities were available. In one corner of the club room stood a pink Triceratops, directing children to bags of candy.

"Explain to me why I'm here," Knox muttered to his assistant Jason.

Jason grinned. "Because your brother is pissed at you...again."

"So? He usually comes to these events. He knows I hate—"

"That's exactly why he didn't come. He wanted you to know he's angry."

"Yeah right. He's probably got a date."

Jason shrugged. "This event isn't so bad. Just think of it as another way to make important contacts. Also, you may show up on the news as a kind human being. Good press is never a bad thing."

Knox straightened his shoulders, his eyes landing on the pink dinosaur surrounded by children. A snickering pre-teen purposely stepped on the dinosaurs tail, almost causing the poor human inside the costume to trip and fall.

"I must not be the only one that's having a terrible time today," Knox said under his breath.

"Knox? Knox Marsden is that you?" An older man with a huge gut and gray hair waved at Knox. "I'm so glad you could come today. It's a rare accomplishment to get you at an event like this."

"Mr. Montgomery, of course I'd come. Our family has always cared about children and my father is always going on about how great you are," Knox shook the older man's hand. "He still talks about how you beat him at a round of golf last month."

"Yes, that was an exciting afternoon. You know, my son is finally back in town. I don't think you two have ever met. Maybe we can all have a round together? Montgomerys versus Marsdens."

Knox chuckled. "Perhaps. I'll let Jason know to contact my father and set something up."

A group of men gathered around them. Mr. Montgomery encouraged them to donate to the charity before turning back to Knox.

"I have a few more people to say hello to but please meet my son, Tate. I'm sure he'd love to meet you."

With another plea to donate, Mr. Montgomery and his friends left Knox behind. 

"Most people smile when they see young kids," Jason said drolly.

"Not me," Knox said in a sing-song voice.

"You've been in an exceptionally bad mood since you fired that secretary this week. Do you regret it?" Jason asked,ignoring the scowl on his friend's face.

"Don't remind me about her," Knox warned. "I still can't believe she and Jessica tried to pull one over on me. Not to mention how they knew about my grandmother's—"