Chapter 11: Real Talk

Tate Montgomery flopped down onto his childhood bed, his stomach full of the dinner his parents' chef made

After the late dinner with his parents, he opted to spend the night at their home. He normally avoided his family home but exhaustion caused him to drag himself upstairs so he could get some sleep.

Just as his eyes were about to close,  the door to his bedroom swung open.

Tate sat up with annoyance as his father,  Mitch Montgomery, strode in. 

"No,  you don't need to knock," Tate said,  his voice dropping with sat sarcasm.

"It's my house. I don't need to knock," Mitch reminded his son. "Tate,  we need to talk."

"I don't want to talk."

As usual, Mitch ignored his son. "Did you break up with that Tuna woman?"

"Her name is Petunia not Tuna."

"Did you break up with her?" Mitch asked again.

"No, I didn't break up with her," Tate answered.

"Why not?"

"I've told you before. Nessa and I aren't going to be a couple again."

"Why not? And don't tell me it's because you don't love her because I just have to take one look around this room to know you're lying."

Tate swallowed back the lie of denial he would've normally shared.

Picture of Nessa and Tate in various stages of their youth decorated the room. There were also hand-made gifts that she had made for him, displayed proudly on a top shelf. The room was practically a shrine to their relationship.

"Why did you break up with her when you know you care so much for her?" Mitch asked.

Tate rubbed both hands down his face. "That's exactly why I broke up with her. I couldn't let her deal with what I was going through. It wouldn't have been fair to her. She was still young and there was a chance that I—"

Tate's voice cracked with emotion.

"Tate, you need to tell her the truth," Mitch urged him.

"You think that'll make her forgive me?" Tate scoffed. "I broke up with her in one of the cruelest ways possible and didn't talk to her for almost two years. Now, I see her out of nowhere and...and it's like we're reliving it all over again."

"You made a decision and although I didn't agree with it, I stood by you but I can't continue to stand by while you ruin your life," Mitch said. "Stop wasting your time with women who aren't going to make you happy."

"It's too late. She's already met someone else. I decided two years ago that I would live without her. I keep telling myself to let go."

Mitch sighed. "The important things in life are always worth fighting for."