Chapter 25: Meeting the Father

Edward Cruz was an intimidating man to most men

Edward Cruz was an intimidating man to most men. Unfortunately for him, Knox Marsden wasn't most men. The two stared at one another across the fancy table setting at Giada's, an Italian restaurant Knox favored. The controlled din of the busy dining area made it a preferable place to have lunch meetings.

"I don't like Italian," Edward conplained, his eyes on the ravioli in front of him. 

"We can go somewhere else," Knox said evenly, wondering why Nessa's father wanted to meet with him. Knox could feel his phone buzzing. Most likely it was from Nessa. She had been adamant about not wanting the two men to meet. Knox ignored his phone.

"You're dating my daughter." Edward speared a ravioli with his fork.

Knox nodded. "Is that why you wanted to meet with me?"

The older man's eyes crinkled as he inspected the younger man. "Perhaps."

Knox thought of all the business meeting he had endured up to this moment. Surely, he could deal with his sort-of fake girlfriend's father.

"I don't know if Nessa has mentioned this, but she's engaged," Edward said.

"Engaged?"

"That's right. I believe you know Tate Montgomery."

"I do."

"They've been in love since they were kids. Never saw anything as sweet as those two. Naturally, his father and I have decided that--"

"Excuse me, but I don't think this is something you necessarily have a choice in," Knox interrupted, smiling before he chewed a forkful of lasgana.

Edward's eyes narrowed. "Excuse me?"

"Nessa has told me several times  she is no longer interested in her ex-boyfriend."

"You know women. They say one thing one moment and change their mind the next. Nessa is no different."

"Now that surprises me." Knox grinned. "Nessa is the most unusual woman I've ever met. She seems to have a mind of her own. Yes, she's very unique."

Edward frowned. "How so?"

Knox leaned over and whispered, "You know...the whole 'I hear dead people' thing? It kind of makes her unforgettable, don't you think?"

Knox could see Edward's hand tightening around his fork. Edward leaned back. "Are you saying my daughter is strange?"

"No, but I am saying she's unusual. I've never met a medium before."

"She's not--"

"The first time I met her, she sent me a message from my ex-girlfriend. She was spot on. I have to admit I was impressed."

"Don't be. Nessa can be a little unusual. She's always loved attention but she doesn't know how to get it in the right way."

"She certainly has my attention," Knox admitted.