Chapter 13: Gym Time

Nessa counted out her money carefully before passing the envelope of cash to her landlord, Mrs

Nessa counted out her money carefully before passing the envelope of cash to her landlord, Mrs. Coleson. Mrs. Coleson licked her fuchsia colored lips before pulling out the cigarette her ear and purple hair

She placed the cigarette between her lips and waved a bony finger at her. "You can't be late next month. I've got mouths to feed too, you know."

She then pointed at the two Siamese cats running against her legs.

"Yes, Mrs. Coleson," Nessa said with a sigh. "But you know how hard it is for me to get a job."

"No, it's hard for you to keep a job. Speaking of which, I know a guy who's hiring if you're interested."

Nessa frowned. "I told you last time, I'm not selling anyone's prescription medications! That's illegal!"

Mrs. Coleson cackled, her cigarette falling from her mouth. One of the cats pawed at it. She cursed and groaned to pick it up before sticking it back in her mouth and shaking her head. "No, this is a good job. My nephew owns an exclusive gym and since you look like you're in shape, I told him about you."

Nessa's mood instantly picked up, "How much does it pay and do I get free gym benefits?"

"Knox, you need to look into Jessica's whereabouts," Patrick said as they stood at the dumbbell rack

"Knox, you need to look into Jessica's whereabouts," Patrick said as they stood at the dumbbell rack. After the police had visited their office, Patrick insisted they find Jessica to prove she was fine and the other two murders were a coincidence.

"I don't have to do anything," Knox argued. "I'm innocent and the police will figure out the rest."

"Are you an idiot? Why don't you ever listen to me?" Patrick shook his head in annoyance.

"It's not just you." Knox grinned. "It's everyone. I'm not going to let you, the police, or Nessa Cruz tell me what to do."

"Donut Licker?" Patrick asked, his brows rising. "Why bring up her name all of a sudden? Did she try bossing you around too?"

"She did tell me to go to Hell," Knox said thoughtfully. "Does that count?"

"Leave Donut Licker alone," Patrick pleaded. "You have bigger problems to worry about. Like what you're going to do if the police try and frame you for murder. Or what's going to happen when they make you look like a murderer. That's bad for business."