Chapter 14: Alibi

Gloria Manning had been a secretary for the Marsden family since her twenties

Gloria Manning had been a secretary for the Marsden family since her twenties. She considered herself both older and wiser than when she first laid eyes on Reed Marsden, the father of Knox and Patrick.

Both men took after their handsome father. Gloria had stayed as his secretary and originally planned to quit after Reed retired. When Knox took over, his father asked her to stay on.

Gloria could never refuse Reed Marsden. So, she worked for Knox despite his aloof behavior which had only gotten worse since his canceled wedding. Gloria never brought the subject up, but she knew Knox was still dealing with the events of that day.

She didn't understand how he couldn't get over the ordeal of being left at the altar. Sure, it was embarrassing... but he was handsome, rich, and successful. All he had to do was pick up the phone and women would come running.

Gloria shook her head as she thought of Knox firing another secretary. He had instructed her to hire someone as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, he always ended up firing whoever Gloria hired within a few days.

Gloria pulled up to Knox's house. It was almost eleven. He, Patrick, and Jason had gone to some gala before Knox left early. Jason called her to run to the office and grab some files to deliver to Knox's home. He said Patrick had negotiated a verbal deal with some company president who was willing to host his next few conventions at the Luxmar Hotel.

"You know how these two are, Gloria," Jason mumbled. "When they say jump, they expect you to already be up in the clouds. If you can hand deliver the file to Mr. Marsden, that would be great. He's not picking up his phone but at this hour, he's probably at home. Patrick and I are still here. He's schmoozing his way through everyone."

Gloria understood. Everyone assumed Patrick was just playing around in the family business, but he worked hard and could turn on the charm when needed. He preferred to work in the background and took it the worst after Knox suddenly went through his downward tailspin after the wedding.

Patrick had to be the one to pick up the pieces of his brother while quietly taking control of the hotel. Every day, he would send Jason to check on Knox. After three weeks of turning his friend and assistant away, Patrick took it upon himself to visit his brother and knock some sense into him. Literally. If Gloria heard the story correctly from a laughing Jason, Patrick had punched his brother until Knox was unconscious.

After Knox came to, it was to his brother begging him to come back to the company. Jason hadn't shared all the details of that day or how Patrick had been able to beat Knox, someone who normally wouldn't allow anyone to touch him. Gloria always suspected there was more to Jason's story but she never pried. That wasn't her place.

She pulled into the drive of Knox's estate, circling the large two-tiered fountain that made up the focal point of his front lawn. She stopped in front of the main doors and made her way to ring the doorbell. When he didn't respond, she entered the house code and used her personal key to enter.