Chapter 31: Awkward

Tate entered the police station

Tate entered the police station. He had to do this for Nessa.

He had to.

"I'm looking for Detective Rick Conners," Tate said to the woman manning the receptionist area. He waited until Detective Conners came around the corner.

"What's going on, Patsy?" Rick asked the receptionist.

She pointed a finger at Tate. "He needs to see you."

Rick eyed Tate up and down before asking, "Can I help you?"

"You probably don't know me—"

"Tate Montgomery," Rick said. "I know who you are. Did you need help with something?"

"It's about Jessica Spencer."

Rick's eyes hardened. "What about her?"

"I know what happened to her two years ago," Tate said, lowering his voice and looking around nervously.

"We all know what happened to her. She dumped her boyfriend and took off."

"Not quite."

Rick's eyes narrowed. "What makes you say that?"

Rick pulled the disk that he bought off of Greg. "I came across this and thought you should have it. I want you to make sure my girlfriend is safe."

"Your girlfriend?"

"Nessa Cruz."

Rick took the disk. "I thought she was Marsden's girl."

"For now," Tate whispered. "I know there have been murders in town and all of them have been somehow connected to Knox Marsden. I don't want Nessa hurt."

"What's on this disk?"

Tate shook his head. "You'll have to see for yourself. Just don't watch it anywhere public."

Tate walked away, leaving Rick alone with the disk, hoping it wasn't too late to save Nessa.

"Are you sure you're ready to get discharged? You've been through a lot." Knox held Nessa's hand as she stood up.

"I'm tired of talking to doctors and police officers. I just want to go home."