Chapter 17: Candy Coated Lies

"Candi, you're not keeping any secrets from me, are you?"

Candi twirled a strand of pink hair around her finger as she avoided the dark eyes of Edward Cruz. The man exuded power and that intimidated Candi. 

He sighed and Candi wondered how Nessa ever got over being scrutinized by his probing eyes. It was as though he could read all of her thoughts.

"Mr. Cruz, I told you everything. She and Tate aren't back together."

"Then, she really is seeing this Marsden, fellow?"

Candi shrugged. "I don't think so."

"You don't think?" Edward Cruz picked up the small spoon and tapped it against his coffee mug. "When I asked you to befriend Nessa years ago, it wasn't because I thought you and she would become best friends."

"Sir-"

"We had an agreement."

"Yes, I know--"

"This coffee shop in exchange for information."

Candi gulped, lowering her eyes.  "I'm sorry."

"I expect you to find out exactly what Nessa is up to."

"What if she finds out what I'm doing?" Candi asked. "She won't ever want to speak to me again. She'll--"

"Then you'll keep this coffee shop and she'll come home. It all works out regardless of whether she knows you're a wolf in sheep's clothing." He gave a derisive snort at her pink and blue hair. "If she is dating Knox Marsden, I want you to help break them up. Otherwise, you'll lose this coffee shop."

"But he's Knox Marsden. His family owns the Luxmar hotels. He's not exactly someone unworthy of her."

"Luxmar?" Edward bit his bottom lip as he tried to recall the family. "I do remember his father. He was a solid businessman. I don't  know the son but rumors surround him.. Remember, I don't want them dating."

He looked at his watch. "I'll be going. Remember what I said. I want to know what Nessa is up to."

He dropped a card on the table. "Tell her another customer stopped by with a job offer. She just needs to call that number." 

Candi picked up the card and saw it was a business card to a flower delivery service. She frowned. "You purposely pick out jobs she isn't going to do well in."

"She thinks earning money is easy. I want her to succeed or come home."

"Do you even like her? Why won't you let her live her life how she wants?" Candi couldn't help but ask.

Edward ignored her as he straightened the red tie around his neck. "Nessa is my daughter. Of course I care for her. I want to do what's right and help her succeed. She'll never get far as long as she continues to struggle doing menial work and insisting she can talk to ghosts. Eventually, she'll get tired of these games and come home."

He didn't wait for her to reply. Instead, he made his way out of the coffee shop. Candi almost felt sorry for Nessa.  Surely, her father would find out all the dirty details on Knox Marsden. When he did, Nessa wouldn't have a snowball's chance in Hell to work at the Luxmar and she'd be forced to take on another degrading job. That's what Edward  wanted. In his twisted way, he wanted to break down his daughter until she returned home and married the man her parents had chosen for her. 

Unfortunately for Nessa, that man was Tate Montgomery. Candi picked up her phone and scrolled down her contacts. 

"Hey, it's me. I need a favor."

She waited for the other person to respond before continuing. "No, it's nothing too complicated. It's abut Nessa Cruz. Yes, the temp. I'm going to need your help. Nothing too major." She paused as she thought over her words. "Well, you won't get life in prison for it."

Candi grinned. Break up Nessa and Knox before they even started? That would be a piece of cake.

 Break up Nessa and Knox before they even started? That would be a piece of cake