Chapter 9: Hula Girl Abduction

Candi couldn't stop laughing

Candi couldn't stop laughing. Nessa sat across from her in a hula-girl outfit at Candi's Coffee. Under the grass skirt and coconut bra, she wore a flesh-colored body suit.
A ring of colorful flowers crowned her dark hair and a lei adorned her neck. Puka shell bracelets decorated her wrists and ankles.

"It's not funny," Nessa snapped. "This is what I have to wear at the Tiki Photo Hut. As if the dinosaur outfit wasn't frightening enough. Can you imagine having to hitch a ride with a group of Mariachi singers?"

"Why do you think I'm laughing?" Candi asked.

I'm going to get that Knox Marsden if it's the last thing I do," Nessa swore..

She tapped her fingers against the table in Candi's coffee shop. A group of teen boys were trying to take a picture of her with their camera phone and she picked up a butter knife. "If you take one more picture, I will cut a kid!"

The boys chuckled but turned back to their lattes.

"Someone's in a mood." Candi giggled. "Why did you take the job if you don't like their uniform?"

"This," Nessa said pointing to her coconut bra, "is not a uniform. It's discrimination. The guys who work there get to wear Hawaiin shirts. Why do I have to wear a fruit bikini? Are coconuts fruit?"

"I don't know but if you feel that strongly about it, don't go in. They can't possibly pay enough to put you through the trouble of dressing like that."

"I'm still a hundred short for rent. I have to make ends meet, remember? If not, my mom will come out here and drag me back home. She called me this morning all hot and bothered because Tate's dad said I was cheating on his son."

Candi scowled. "Are you serious? After what he did to you?"

"She wanted to know all about Knox Marsden."

"What did you tell her?" Candi asked.

"That Tate's father needs his eyes checked and is possibly suffering from Dementia."

Candi laughed. "You're joking, right?"

Nessa shrugged. "I like Mr. Montgomery but telling my parents that I'm cheating on his son is a bit overboard. It's just another area in my life I don't want them butting in."

"I swear you're so weird. Let them help you. They're rich, remember?"

"They are but I'm not. They still talk about how my great grandparents came to America with a dream and made a fortune. As long as they won't accept me as I am, I can't depend on them."

"Speaking of which," Candi whispered. "Have you heard from your ghosties lately?"

Nessa nodded. "I'm ignoring them for the moment. They keep talking to me about Knox Marsden."

Candi's brows rose. "What are they saying?"

Nessa shook her head. "You don't want to know. I'm heading to work. If you see a random woman on the news dressed as a hula girl who went postal at the Tiki Photo Hut-- it's me."