Chapter 15: Twinkle, Twinkle

Detective Conners pointed to Knox

Detective Conners pointed to Knox. "You were with him last night?"

Nessa nodded, not making eye contact with Knox.

"Prove it," Detective Chavez said, his voice full of distaste.

Nessa looked at Knox who still had his head resting in his hands. She turned back to the officers and smirked. "Prove it? What do you want? Pictures? Video? That sort of thing is private. Besides, Knox is a little bit of a prude when it comes to filming our extracurricular activities."

A choked sound escaped from either Patrick or Jason and it wasn't lost on Detective Chavez who leaned back and eyed Nessa with disbelief. "It was mentioned that you worked for Mr. Marsden. How do we know you're not lying for him in order to keep your job?"

A peel of laughter escaped through Nessa's lips. She looked back at the three men from Luxmar and pointed at the detectives. "Did you tell them I worked here? How funny."

She shook her head at Detective Chavez. "You clearly don't know my Knox. He fired me my first day here. I don't think I even worked an hour. You can ask the secretaries outside if you don't believe me."

"Why would you date someone who fired you?" Detective Conners asked.

Nessa shrugged. "I probably have daddy issues."

Nessa walked around Knox's desk and used her eyes to signal Jason and Patrick to move away from Knox, who was lifting his head and beginning to stand.

"That's enough." Knox fully stood and pointed to the door. "You two can see yourselves out. Talk to my attorney if you have any further questions for me."

"But we don't have questions for you," Detective Conners said. He made a smug expression and nodded at Nessa. "We have questions for her. Why would you date a man who fired you?"

Nessa was standing close to Knox and shrugged. "He's good looking, rich, and—"

She placed a hand across his chest and Knox placed his hand over hers, stopping Nessa from caressing him.

"Enough," he whispered.

"And then of course," Nessa used her covered hand to grab his tie and pull him closer. "There's this." She pulled his lips down to hers and turned their bodies in case the detectives noticed he wasn't responding to her. She had planned to mentally count to four before stepping away.

One.

Two.

Three.

She took a step back, only to feel Knox's hand wrap itself around her lower waist and pull her forward. His non-responsive lips suddenly devoured hers and Nessa, unsure of what to do, allowed it to happen.

A loud coughing sound from Jason pulled her back to her senses and Nessa was thankful Knox had his arm around her waist after he pulled his face slightly away from hers. He kissed the spot right above her left hear and whispered, "Didn't anyone ever warn you not to play with fire?"