Chapter 20: A Secret Revealed

"Do you think he's sleeping with her right now?" Jason, Knox's friend and assistant asked

Patrick Marsden frowned. "With who? The donut licker?"

Jason chuckled. "That's probably not all she's licking right now."

"You're an ass," Patrick laughed, loosening his tie. "He seemed pretty worked up when he called me earlier. Almost like he was worried about her."

"Almost?" Jason echoed.

"I sent people over to clean her apartment after they left." Patrick stretched out across his leather sofa, yawning.

His brother, Knox, ditched his date to help out Nessa Cruz. His brother had never been the type to play the hero. Knox had always been too busy at work. Even his ex-girlfriend Jessica had complained he about him spending more time in the office than he did with her. For him to drop everything and help out a total stranger seemed out of character. 

"I bet he bangs her," Jason said, nodding. "It's about time, too."

"I think you're giving him too much credit," Patrick said.

Jason's eyes narrowed suspiciously on Patrick. He had known the Marsden boys since they were kids. "Are you jealous?"

Patrick scoffed, "Hardly."

"That's not what it looks like to me."

"Then you need to get your vision checked." Patrick sat up. "Donut Licker has too much personality for my brother. He wouldn't know what to do with her."

"And you would?"

Jason's answer was Patrick's cocky grin.

"I don't know. She seems into him," Jason argued.

"Most women are," Patrick agreed. "Until they get to know him and how busy he is."

"He didn't seem busy tonight. He even asked you to get those guys at her apartment. I thought you only called them when things got too deep."

Patrick sighed. "Her break-in was a big deal to Knox."

"Which surprises me. You think he's interested in her?" Jason sat across from Patrick, a beer cradled in his hands.

"She's a beautiful woman. A little odd, but beautiful. I think the real question is whether or not she's interested in him. I bet she's wild at night. He's a lucky bastard, I'll admit that."

"What's this I'm hearing?" Jason laughed. "Do you want to lick the donut licker? You know she dated Tate Montgomery."

Patrick grunted. "I heard rumors about him."

"Like what?"

Patrick waved a hand in the air as if he didn't want to talk about it. His lips curved in a smile. "Who do you think has a better shot at the donut licker? Me or Knox?"

"Neither. She probably wants to stick to someone amazing like me."

Patrick laughed.

"What? " Jason smiled. "It wouldn't be the first time I stole a woman from you two."

"Don't remind me." Patrick's face darkened and he pointed his chin at Jason's beer. "You gonna drink all that?"

"Yes, get your own."

"I think you're probably right about Knox."

"Right about what?" Jason asked before drinking a swig of his beer.

"That he's banging her. It's been a long time since Jessica. Two years."

"He hasn't slept with anyone in two years? But what about that model? The one who--"

"Nope," Patrick answered. "He didn't sleep with her although she probably wanted to."

"I told him it was just a commercial," Jason said. "She didn't really have stinky feet."

"If he is seeing Donut Licker, I'll be happy for him and I won't interfere," Patrick said softly. "He deserves some happiness and no one has the right to interfere with that."

Jason continued drinking his beer as Patrick stared at him. When it didn't seem as though he was going to respond, Patrick finally asked, "Aren't you going to say the same?"

Jason frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Don't play dumb with me. You may be Knox's friend but I know about everything."

"Everything about what?" Jason asked.  

"You and Jessica."

Jason's eyes widened. "W-what?"

"That's right," Patrick said. "I know all about how you slept with her."