Chapter 10: Two Proposals Too Many

Tate Montgomery grabbed his jaw and winced when a sharp pain shot through his mouth

"Dammit, Nessa. You didn't have to punch me."

"You didn't have to get your goons to drag me into your car!" Nessa slapped his arm but there wasn't much force behind it. "What were you thinking, Tate?"

"You won't pick up my calls and I needed to talk to you," Tate explained. He waited until she scooted herself to the far end of the backseat and crossed her arms before taking in her attire. He smirked. "Nice coconuts."

Nessa's hands curled into fists. "What did you just say? You want me to kick you in the nuts? Because that's what I heard."

"Oh, calm down. I know what I did was wrong and I apologize. I just wanted to talk to you. My father said he called your parents. Are you okay?"

Nessa looked out the window, ignoring his statement. One of her sandals had gone missing in the tussle and she wondered if one of Tate's hired men had picked it up during her "abduction."

"Nessa, I just wanted to make sure you weren't mad at me. I told him I'm dating Petunia but he refused to listen. He's as stubborn as a mule. More so."

She stole a look at Tate. Despite their messy break-up, he had also been a childhood friend to her. He was a few years older than her but he had grown up with domineering parents just like she had. The main difference between them was that Tate was more than happy to reap the benefits of his father's work. Nessa wanted to pave her own way.

"Did your parents get mad at you?" he asked.

"No. They wanted to know all about my new boyfriend."

Tate looked taken aback and adjusted his tie. "That's surprising. I thought they liked me."

"Sure," Nessa said sarcastically. "Who wouldn't love the guy who dumped their daughter because she wasn't good enough?"

"It wasn't because of that and you know it. I tried, Nessa. I really tried. You would go on and on about your ghosties or whatever you called them. I tried to be patient when it came to all the part-time jobs and the ridiculous outfits." He made a point to give her body a once-over to reiterate his statement. "All our lives we've been told  we were going to marry one another and I needed a break. Just like you want to break free from depending on your parents. Can't you understand that? It's not like I ever said it would be permanent."

"Why are you telling me this?" Nessa asked. "We broke up a long time ago and you're dating someone. It doesn't matter anymore."

"Of course it matters."

"You want something, don't you? Did your father threaten to cut you off if you didn't date me?"

"Nessa—"

"Or are you actually jealous?" Nessa leaned back, a sly smile on her lips. "You're jealous, aren't you? Knox Marsden was voted sexiest businessman last year by the city newspaper."