Chapter 26: Jealousy

Patrick watched her from across the room, a cup of tea in front of him

Patrick watched her from across the room, a cup of tea in front of him. Nessa glowered at him, causing him to smirk. They were in the secretary's break room and Nessa was trying her best not to be irritated by his presence. Gloria said he visited once in a while but this area was supposed to be for staff, not management.

"You don't like me, do you?" Patrick asked.

"And I thought I was the psychic one," Nessa said sarcastically.

"I can see why my brother likes you. You're different. You're cute. Funny.. And a donut licker."

Nessa refused to continue the conversation. Instead, she changed the topic, "Jason isn't here today?"

"He had to go down to the police station."

Nessa's brows rose. "You don't suppose it has anything to do with the murders, do you?"

Patrick shrugged, getting up to walk toward. He reached in front of her to grab a donut from the box opened in front of her. She sat at a small table in the middle of the room. Patrick took a bite of the sweet treat and held the donut towards her. Nessa grimaced and gave a slight shake of her head.

"I thought you liked donuts." Patrick smiled.

"So, you don't care if it's about the murders?" Nessa asked suspiciously, changing the topic back to Jason, Knox's assistant.

"It's not that I don't care but Jason just isn't the type to murder."

"What do you mean?"

"He doesn't have it in him. He's too soft."

Nessa frowned. "And you aren't?"

The corner of his mouth tugged upward. "Not to brag, but I am known for—"

Nessa held up her hand. "Stop. I can only handle so much BS a day."

"Well you wanted to know if I was worried."

"Obviously, you aren't. I'm surprised you aren't more worried about your brother. What if someone is trying to frame him?"

Patrick looked around and lowered his voice, "What if someone isn't?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You don't know Knox as well as you think you do."

"What makes you think I think I know him?" Nessa asked, her brows lowering.

Patrick smirked. "I think you think You? You're funny, Nessa. You're his girlfriend but you don't know him well, do you?"

Nessa's eyes narrowed. "I admit I don't know everything about Knox, but I know enough about you."

Patrick sat down and leaned forward. "And what is it that you know about me?"

"I know you play second fiddle to Knox. I know you're jealous of him. And I know you think you're strong enough to kill women if what you said earlier about Jason is true."