Chapter 18: Blind Date

"So, you're going to work for him?" Candi asked, her hand clutched tightly around the business card Edward Cruz had given her earlier

Nessa nodded. "Yeah. He reconsidered and offered me the job."

"Just like that, he hired you?" she asked, snapping her fingers.

"Yeah, he was apologetic about being such a jerk and was short-staffed so he offered me my job back. Apparently, the intern they hired didn't work out either."

Candi's eyes narrowed. "You're keeping something from me."

Nessa took a gulp of the green tea that was in front of her. "What's with all the suspicion? Candi, you're my best friend. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have been able to survive these past two years. You're the only person I trust these days. You know that, right?"

"I just don't want to see anyone take advantage of you."

"Don't worry. Everything's going to be fine. You'll see. Everything will work in my favor this time around. I finally have a new job and I'll get health insurance! I won't have to rely on you to find me these temp jobs anymore."

"Still—"

"I would never let someone take advantage of me," Nessa insisted. "I would never unknowingly let someone use me. Don't worry. I'll be fine."

Candi cleared her throat. "Well, I'm glad to hear that. To celebrate, let's eat some cupcakes! I just made some and they should've cooled by now. I'll frost a few for us to eat."

"Sounds great." Nessa grinned. She watched as Candi head toward the kitchen. Her eyes wandered down to the crumpled business card her friend had left on the table. Nessa's smile slowly faded and she sighed as she stared at the card and whispered, "I'd never unknowingly let someone use me."

"You have a blind date?" Jason asked Knox who was buttoning a dress shirt

"Not exactly. It's more like a business meeting with a woman my mother set up," Knox answered.

"That's a blind date," Patrick chimed in as he lay across the leather sofa in his condo. Knox was staying there while the police continued to investigate his maid's murder.