Chapter 21: Midnight Healing

"No, I told you I'm fine

"No, I told you I'm fine. I'm not sure how you even found out," Nessa said into her phone. She could feel Knox's eyes on her and she turned her back to him as she paced the hotel room's floor. "Mom, just tell Dad that it's not a big deal. It was just a scratch. No, I don't want to talk to him, I--"

She sighed before continuing, "Hello, Sir. I know you're worried but I'm fine."

"Nessa," Edward Cruz's voice boomed into the phone. "You've played enough. It's time to give up your wild life and come home. Your mother and I are tired of seeing you get into one mess after another."

"Wild life? I wouldn't call it that. Besides, I've told you before, I can take care of myself."

"Someone broke into that box you call an apartment. It's not safe."

"I left my apartment. Don't worry. I'm fine."

She could hear her father grunting in displeasure. "I heard you got hurt."

Nessa's hand automatically felt her forehead and she remembered Knox placing a bandage on her wound. "I'm fine."

"Where are you if you're not at your apartment? Are you with Candi?"

"No." Nessa frowned. He knew she wasn't with Candi. "I'm with another friend. I'm at his office."

"His office?"

"Yes, he works at a place where they have spare rooms for employees and I'm staying there. It's quite safe."

She heard Knox scoffing from behind her.

"Did you call Tate?" Edward asked.

"Tate?" Nessa a note of skepticism laced in her voice. "Why would I call Tate? We broke up over two years ago, remember?"

"He still cares about you."

"I highly doubt that."

"Why don't you give him a chance? You two were so perfect together. You wanted to get married and have children, remember? Your mother and I would love a grandchild."

"That was before he dumped me," Nessa reminded him. "After everything I went through, why are you so determined to set me back up with Tate? What's going on? Do you know something I don't."

His silence was telling and Nessa continued, "If Tate wants to make amends, he better have a damned good explanation."

"Watch your language, young lady."

"Sorry," Nessa mumbled, ignoring Knox's chuckle behind her. "I'm sorry, but I have to go. I'll call you later."

Nessa didn't give him a chance to continue and disconnected the call.

"Your father sure does worry about you. Strange for a man who you said doesn't accept you because of your ghost friends," Knox said softly. He was sprawled out on the sofa, a grin on his face.