Chapter 28: Jessica's Revenge

"What happened?" Knox asked as Nessa sat down on the wooden bench behind her

"What happened?" Knox asked as Nessa sat down on the wooden bench behind her. The police officer talking to her stepped back as Knox took in the gash on her cheek and busted lip. Her shirt was torn and it looked as though she had been crying.

"It happened so fast. I borrowed Candi's car to drive over to see my parents and on the way over, someone jumped out of the back seat and attacked me," Nessa explained.

"The car was wrecked," the police officer mentioned. "Unfortunately, we didn't catch the assailant."

"Are you okay?" Knox asked, his face pale. "Why aren't you at the hospital?"

"I don't need to go to the hospital," Nessa insisted. "I just want to go home."

"Well, someone attacked you there so that's not an option either," Knox said. He sat down next to her and sighed. "We'll go back to the hotel."

"Are you her boyfriend?" the officer asked.

Knox gave a slight nod before asking Nessa, "Did you see what he looked like?"

"No. It happened so fast. I just remember he had cold hands. I think he was wearing some kind of mask."

"Why do you say that?" Knox asked.

"She said he didn't have a face," the officer said. "She said her assailant didn't have hair or any facial features."

"I could feel the material over his face. He wore a mask."

Knox cursed under his breath, " you said he. How do you know it was a man?"

"I don't. Whoever attacked me was strong. Really strong. Candi's car is totaled. She's going to kill me." Nessa leaned forward with her hands over her face.

"I doubt that," Knox said softly.

"I want to go home," Nessa whispered. "I hate police stations."

"Why? Have you ever been arrested?" Knox asked.

Nessa's eyes widened. "Why would you even ask that?"

"We've got all the information we need so you're free to go," the officer said before turning to Knox, "Please make sure she sees a doctor."

"Nessa!" The strained voice of Edward Cruz, Nessa's father, came through the swarm of people in the station. "Nessa?"

Nessa groaned and Knox placed an arm around her shoulder.

"Is that your father?" the officer asked.

"Yes, and he's going to be pissed," Nessa said.

"What the hell is going on here? I was told they haven't caught the culprit." Edward was dressed in a dark pinstripe suit. He looked as though he had just stepped out of a GQ magazine for the over fifty group. "Your mother is beside herself with worry. Why aren't you at the hospital?"