Chapter 8: An Unlikely Hero

Tate Montgomery's smile evaporated with Knox's response

Tate Montgomery's smile evaporated with Knox's response. His face paled as he asked, "What did you just ask?"

"Adorable? You can't be serious," Petunia balked. "She's the hired help. Are we on a hidden camera show?"

She began looking around the room as if a camera crew was secretly hidden, ready to pop out at any moment and yell, "Surprise!"

Nessa swatted at Knox's pinching hands. "Stop! Stop it!"

"Petunia, she's not the hired help." Tate's eyes narrowed. "You two don't look like a couple. Nessa isn't someone who dates just anyone."

Knox turned back to Tate. "I'm not just anyone."

"Tate?" Mitch Montgomery, Tate's father, called out to them. Jason stood beside him, a look of disbelief painted on his face.

The older man joined the group and smiled at Nessa. "Nessa Cruz, does your father know you're here dressed in this ridiculous costume?"

Nessa smiled. "No, but I'm sure you'll tell him, Mr. Montgomery."

Mr. Montgomery gave a hearty laugh before slapping his son on the back. "I'm not sure why you let this one get away, Tate. She's a firecracker!"

"He didn't let me get away, Mr. Montgomery. He threw me aw-"

"Nessa!" Tate interrupted, his eyes on his father. Petunia frowned and pulled Tate closer to her side.

"You know one another?" Knox asked, which should have been obvious since Tate had admitted to dating Nessa. Still, Mitch Montgomery was a feisty old man who only loved money and golf...in that order. He was hardly ever nice to anyone unless it brought him a lucrative amount of money. He couldn't stop smiling at Nessa.

"Of course," Tate said. "We dated for two years."

"Stop reminding us," Petunia muttered, earning her an apologetic shrug from Tate.

Mr. Montgomery began to explain, "Her father and I-"

"Step-father," Nessa corrected him.

"Nessa Cruz, Edward adopted you when you were six. You're his daughter and don't you dare say differently," Mr. Montgomery chided her with a frown.

"I know," Nessa said apologetically.

"You need to stop with this wild stage of yours, young lady."

Knox's eyes widened when he saw Nessa lower her head and answer meekly, "Yes, sir."

"In any event," Mr. Montgomery continued. "Edward and I are old college buddies. After he married Nessa's mother, he and I figured we'd get Tate and Nessa together. These two just couldn't work it out. It'll take them some time, but they'll eventually find one another again."

Knox recognized the warning. Nessa belonged to Tate.

Perhaps it was the older man's recent refusal to hold a conference at Luxmar, but Knox felt irritated by the older man. Hadn't his father purposely lost their last golf game to get Mitch Montgomery to choose the Luxmar?