1 | the first run-in

5th august 2013

MAYA SIGHED TO HERSELF as she watched the professor take roll call. Much to her disappointment, the class was still and quiet, the only voice ringing through the silence was her professor's.

How was she going to sneak in?

She had woken up at 7:00 in the morning only realizing that her first class was at 7:30 after an amused reminder from her room-mate.

Damn it, Maya groaned. What am I going to do? Should I just go back?

She crouched against the wall, peeking in through the window, observing the class and trying to figure out a way to enter through the backdoor without alerting anyone.

Who even scheduled classes at freaking 7:30 AM in the morning? Even school wasn't this bad.

Letting out a breath, she decided to brace the incoming scolding from her professor and simply walk in. She wasn't able to think of any better idea.

"Late to class, are we?"

She slowly looked back, eyes wide in alarm. The man's fox like eyes was the only thing she could see clearly against the sunlight that glared at her.

"Come on, I'll help you. Stand by the backdoor."

He quickly walked to the entrance before she could respond. Seeing no other way out, she did as he said.

He nodded at her and then drew the attention of the professor. 

"Sir, there's a wasp by your shoe." and he sauntered away as nonchalantly as he had said it.

Immediately, there was a ruckus in the class with the professor jumping around, trying to ascertain where the wasp is and the girls shrieking and the boys getting ready to hit the insect with their notebooks. Quietly, Maya walked in and seated herself by the last seat, next to the backdoor and went along with the chaos.

She felt a little embarrassed. It was the first time someone had to help her with sneaking around. What a shame, she sighed mentally.

The roll call continued after figuring out that there was no wasp in the classroom.

At the end of the lecture, students began filtering out of the classrooms. The professor smiled at Maya as he gestured for her to wait. 

"Your name is Maya?"

"Yes, sir."

"Next time, be punctual. A wasp will not always come into class."

Maya was left red-faced for the first time, that day.

author's note: our master in sneaking around, bunking classes and all sorts of mischief has returned!!

wordcount: 440 words

cover made by @meha-k