15 | another ride

MAYA FELT she had worn her polite smile for way too long. Maybe the infuriating man in front of her had taken that as permission to continue drone on about things she quite fairly didn't care about.

Maya had a huge list of red flags accumulated, as a result of a blind date practically every night. Talking about his unwilling addiction to soap operas as one of the first topics during the date should be added on that list.

Maya glanced at her phone, for the hundredth time.

Why didn't she get a call?

Then, she glanced at her table partner's phone. 

Why didn't his phone ring?

The said man ceaselessly chattered, unbothered about Maya's obvious lack of interest. Such variety of people were extremely annoying to Maya.

Letting out a breath of resignation, she rested her elbow on the table and leaned against her palm, her expression clearly begging for help out of the situation. And help did arrive.

Her table partner's phone finally rang. It was his grandma.

"Hello? Grandma?"

"What?! I'll be there right now."

Quickly, he shoved his phone in his pocket, rising from his seat. "I'm sorry. We'll have to cut this short. My grandma came to my apartment from my native."

"Oh! How wonderful-"

"It's not wonderful at all. If my grandma finds out I'm watching soap operas, she'll never leave my apartment. It would be a nuisance."

Maya stared at him.

"Right. I'll get going. See you around."

A polite smile and a wave. Few minutes later, the mask was dropped. Maya turned on her phone and browsed through her texts, waiting for dessert to arrive.

"Can I sit here?" 

Maya looked up, tired. Then, her eyes grew wider.

"Ved?"

"Hi." He sat down, opposite here. "You were on a date?"

"Blind date, yeah. Didn't work out."

Ved ordered a glass of water and observed her. "I didn't...know you were looking to get into relationships."

Maya laughed. "Of course, you didn't. We haven't seen each other for a long time, you know."

"I didn't mean it in that way. I just...I was under the conviction that you weren't looking to get into relationships."

"That was then." Maya paused. "Now...I see my friends, happy and in a relationship. Anu is in a relationship. Saina is married. I feel this sense of loneliness. I feel like I too need to be in a relationship. I'm just here living with my aunt. I feel like I should have my own family."

Ved placed his glass down, taking a small sip.

"So, you've been going on blind dates?"

Maya shrugged. "Rather than a serious search for a soulmate, it's more about passing time for me."

"Have you been in any relationship over the years?" 

Maya glanced at him, before lowering her eyes at her plate. "None. I was focused on my career."

Ved bobbed his head, staring at his glass. 

Dessert arrived. Maya had ordered a Tiramisu. She quickly picked up her spoon and dug in. 

"You weren't enjoying today's date?"

"Don't get me started on that. I cannot believe guys like that exist. Infuriating is an understatement. It's like demeaning everyone he meets in his life is his sole purpose."

Ved laughed. "I've met a few like that."

"If he wants to live a good life, he needs to get off his high horse." Maya scooped a spoonful. "And he needs to stop complaining about everything."

"You should've told him that, then."

"Hm? Oh, well yes. I could've told him that." Maya paused, finishing her dessert. "But I just didn't care enough to say it. Advice from me is precious. Only deserving people get it."

Ved smiled, his eyes on her all the time, tracking and observing her movements. 

Once she had paid the bill, the two left the restaurant together.

"You were dining here? In the restaurant?"

"Yeah, a business meeting of sorts."

"I see."

"I'll drop you off." 

Maya glanced at him, eyes wide with surprise. "It's alright. I've already booked the cab."

Ved glanced at her phone. "The driver has cancelled."

Maya looked down. Indeed, the driver had cancelled her ride. Excellent.

Maya smiled. "That's alright, I'll just book another-"

"Come on. It's late. It would be dangerous to hail a taxi, too."

Once again, Maya found herself following Ved, towards his car.

It was a quiet ride. When she reached her house, Ved watched her, pull out her seatbelt. "I heard from your boss the other day that you were going to quit your job."

Maya paused her movements. "My boss told you?"

"I had requested for a contract to have you work as a costume designer for the movie I'm making. He told me that you were leaving and that I'd have to sign a contract with someone else in the company. I declined."

Maya blinked, processing the information.

"How did you know I was working there?"

"Saina told me. I enquired."

"I see. I, um...yeah, I'm quitting tomorrow. I'm thinking of going freelance."

"I see."

A pause.

"Alright, then. I'll see you tomorrow." And he drove away.

Maya blinked. See me tomorrow?

˚₊ ❄︎

wordcount:  857 words