19 | the return to bundok

MAYA PLACED HER suitcase inside the cabin. She glanced around the cabin, a smile lighting up her tired face - a consequence of nostalgia.

"You've been to this place before, ma'am?"

Maya looked at her assistant, Radha, who had quit her job and followed her, continuing as her assistant. She hummed, not giving a concrete answer.

The two worked at unpacking their luggage. Maya placed her designs, sketches and costumes carefully in a separate luggage, which was placed into a cubicle.

It took them until 7 in the evening to be completely done.

"Shall we get dinner?" Maya asked, switching on her data for the first time, since arriving in Bundok. 

She had received a text from Ved.

Ved
Come to the restaurant we met at. 
The production team and staff are having dinner here.

Me
You mean 'Beleria'? Or the one next to that?

Ved
Beleria

Me
Roger that.

Maya and her assistant set out to the restaurant, chatting about their work for the next day and their respective life situations.

Once they reached, Maya scanned the restaurant and spotted a large group of people huddled around a table, laughing and conversing loudly.

She guessed that they were the team. But where was Ved...?

Maya led her assistant to the table and introduced herself to the group of people. "You guys are the production staff for the sequel to 12 Days In Bundok, right?"

"Yes, Yes."

Maya smiled and made a move to sit down when she was stopped.

"No, no, ma'am. Don't sit here. Ved sir is there. He's saving a seat for you there." A girl at the end of the table pointed to a 2 seater near the entrance of the restaurant.

Maya's sight turned to the direction in which the girl was pointing. Indeed, Ved was there. He was looking right at her, with a grin.

"There's a seat here. Would you be okay with sharing?"

Maya stared at him, before a grin broke out on her face. "Are you re-enacting how we met or something?"

"Something like that." He mumbled.

She sat opposite him and picked up the menu. The waiter approached her and jotted down her order before hastening away.

Maya observed the production team, her chin on her palm. She noted the lankier men, who seemed to lead the conversation and the few petite woman, who enthusiastically carried forward it.

The teamwork was already pretty apparent.

Maya let out a small smile before turning to Ved, who's eyes, it seemed, were always on her.

"Is that the production team you work with each time? Or does it change with each movie?"

"It's a fixed team. I have a contract with a production company."

Maya nodded, slowly. Her hands moved around her glass of water and she stared at her reflection.  

"So, what's the story for the sequel?"

Ved shrugged.

Maya stared at him.

"You don't have a script?"

"It's ongoing."

Maya's eyebrows scrunched. "Ongoing?"

"In progress."

"So, you're writing it currently?"

Ved nodded.

Maya's mind pondered over the original movie. She had known what it meant, what it represented in the back of her mind. But, she hadn't had the time to dwell on it and pick apart the finer details of the movie to confirm her theory.

Had Ved been infatuated with her then? Or was it simply a fictional love story with her as the inspiration for the female lead?

Maya's mind travelled back to the present. She pondered about the sequel. It's ongoing...? Huh.

Maya squinted her eyes at Ved, who was now focusing on the dish being served to him. She remembered a radio interviewed she had happened to listen to, a year back. It was a radio interview of Ved.

"Do you usually plot scripts while you film? Or you have the script ready?"

"I always have my script ready. Then, I cast and only then do I sign the film contracts and start shooting."

Maya squinted her eyes at Ved again. Huh.

The moment Maya was served her food, the main actors for the film stepped into the restaurant, calling for a round of cheers from the production team and loud hooting.

Both of them had debuted in 12 Days In Bundok and were now seasoned actors with a range of awards under their belt.

Kiara Kaur and Atharv Ahuja.

They were two well known names in the industry. Maya observed as Kiara hastened to the table and hugged everyone, chatting about how it had been a long time since they had seen each other. Maya nodded to herself as she sipped her glass of water.

The same production team had worked on the original movie.

The other actor, however, quietly took his place, reading the menu, after nodding at everyone. An introvert and an extrovert. Maya smiled to herself, turning her eyes away. What a pair.

Kiara, then approached Ved.

"Agarwal, it's been awhile." Ved nodded and chatted with her. Once their small talk came to a gradual end, Kiara glanced at Maya. Her eyes widened. She quickly looked to Ved, who watched her with an amused look.

"You must be Maya, who's joining us as the costume director?"

"Indeed. Hello." They shook hands.

Maya could see that words wanted to tumble out of Kiara's mouth. The same words were restricted to the tip of her tongue with one look from Ved.

Maya squinted at Ved, for the third time that day.

Just what was he upto?

˚₊ ❄︎

wordcount: 911 words