7 | hiking

26th december 2013

THE GROUP OF FOUR had decided to walk the trekking path that morning. They had packed all the necessary equipments, a spare foldable tent, water bottles and portable chargers.

At 9 in the morning, they were already halfway up the trekking path.

Saina and Gaurav walked at a slower pace as compared to Maya and Ved.

Saina eyed the duo in front of her.

"It already feels like they are a couple, isn't it?"

Gaurav panted as he glanced at them, nodding.

"They look quite good with each other." Saina clicked her tongue. "It's a pity he's graduating college in 2 months. If he was in 2nd year, they'd have more time to get to know each other and date."

"You're so sure that they would date." Gaurav commented.

"That look on Ved's face," Saina let out a ragged breath. "I know it. I've seen it on you."

Gaurav smiled and glanced at her. "A look of love?"

Saina shook her head. "Infatuation. It hasn't progressed to love yet. Say, does he know her from somewhere?"

Gaurav tilted his head. "I don't think so..."

Saina's eyebrows scrunched up. "I have a feeling he knows her from somewhere. Just observe his body language, Gaurav. It's open. He's always facing her. His entire body, I mean. He is interested in getting to know about her. He isn't always like this with everyone. Not even me."

"Since when did you become a psychologist?"

Saina directed her narrowed eyes at Gaurav. "Do you take pleasure in teasing me all the time? I'm trying to tell you such important things and you are-"

"Alright, alright. I get it. He's infatuated with her."

"It's not just that. I have a feeling he knows her from somewhere. He wouldn't be this interested in some stranger who he met 6 days back."

 Gaurav had a strange feeling in his heart. A doubt sprung in his heart. 

It couldn't be...

Maya and Ved remained oblivious to the musings of the couple behind them. After silence for awhile, Ved began small talk.

"What's your major?"

"Fashion design and film costume. Double Major."

"No wonder you immediately pointed out the dress."

Maya let out a chuckle. 

"What do your parents do?"

Maya's smile faltered. She let out a soft breath. "They passed away a long time back. Car accident."

"I'm sorry for broaching the subject, then and my condolences."

"No, it's alright. It was a long time back. I was raised by my aunt. She's the principal of a school."

"You said your name was Maya Raviker?" Ved suddenly asked.

Maya nodded, confused where he was going with it.

"Meghna Raviker. She's your aunt?"

Maya nodded. "You studied at Crysalis High too?"

"Yeah. All of us did. Gaurav, Saina, Me."

Maya paused. "How come I've never seen you guys before?"

Ved shrugged. "I graduated 2 years before you guys did."

Maya turned around. "You two studied at Crysalis?"

They nodded, a little confused. 

"I studied there too!"

Saina's eyes grew wide. She immediately turned to Gaurav. Gaurav stared at Ved.

"That's her?" Gaurav mouthed. "From that incident in 6th grade?"

Ved nodded. 

Gaurav turned to Saina, eyes wide. 

Maya completely missed all those, despite being observant usually. 

"How did I never see you guys around?"

Saina smiled and supplied an explanation. "Gaurav and I were in the integrated classes. Were you in one of those?"

Maya let out an 'Ah!' and said, "No wonder. I was in the normal classes."

Processing all the surprising revelations they had discovered, the group of four continued trekking up.

The name Ved Agarwal being familiar to Maya, popped up again in the latter's mind. She still couldn't place exactly where she had heard it. But she now knew where she might have heard it. At school.

˚₊ ❄︎

wordcount: 658 words