23 | snowstorm

MAYA CLOSED HER EYES and leaned back into her chair. Her head hung backward. Ved glanced at the clock and then, her.

They had spent the day together in her cabin. It was lightly snowing outside and Ved had wanted to give her company while she worked at designing one of the important costumes for the movie. Ved had already sent his mother and aunt back to Pulan, sternly informing them that they shouldn't suddenly decide to go on a trip just because he didn't visit them for awhile.

He dropped his book on the bed.

"Let me go get us something to eat."

"I want soup and pasta."

"Sure." And he was out the door.

Maya placed her needle aside and removed her glasses.  She rolled back her hunched shoulders and groaned. Switching on the radio box, she listened to the music that was playing and continued working.

Her assistant would normally help with the basic stitches, however due to a family emergency, she had to go back to Pulan, that morning.

Maya hadn't realized until that morning, how dependent she was on her assistant.

Suddenly the music stopped. Maya hadn't taken cognizance until she heard the words '-ok town. Heavy snowfall may be dangerous for all those on foot in the town centre. Please stay inside your homes. Landslides have also been reported-"

Maya's eyes widened. Ved had just gone out.

She immediately grabbed onto her phone and clicked on Ved's contact. She heard the familiar ring tone from inside the cabin. He had left his phone in the cabin.

"Damn it. Damn it." She paced around, trying to calm down and figure out. 

"What do I do? I can't call someone to go and find him. It's heavy snowfall." 

Maya opened her curtain and peered out. Indeed, the light snowfall had nearly turned into a blizzard.

She opened her door. Wind came rushing in, wanting to conquer the peaceful atmosphere of the cabin. Maya shut it out.

"Shit."

She paced around, wanting to cry. "Is he seriously going to die out there? I haven't even confessed my crush to him. Why did he not take his phone, damn it?"

Nearly half an hour later, the door's knob shook. Then, someone rang the bell on the front door of her cabin.

Maya ran to the porch and pushed out the door. Ved stood outside, with a smile. "I got you your food-"

She kissed him. She pulled his face towards her and kissed him hard. Ved shut the door with his foot and dropped the food bags near the entry way. He kissed her back.

A little breathless, Maya pulled back. She turned her aggrieved eyes to his. "Why the hell didn't you take your phone? I could've completely lost you, you know that?"

Ved blinked. "Hm?"

Maya let out a harsh breath and took a step back. "It's a damn blizzard out there, Ved. You're lucky you managed to come back here safe-"

"There is no blizzard out there, Maya."

Maya blinked.

Ved laughed. "There is no blizzard. It's just heavy wind. You would've known had you stepped out of the cabin. What gave you the idea of blizzard starting around here?"

Maya blinked and turned to the radio.

'In Livlok town, more landslides have been reported with a raging blizzard. Please stay safe.'

Livlok town. Oh, god.

Maya's shoulders slumped down in relief. What she had just done finally occurred to her mind. She kept her eyes averted. 

"Give me my food."

Ved tilted his head. "We're not gonna talk about what just happened?"

Maya closed her eyes, her cheeks growing red. "Well, I just-"

"I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen. I've been wanting it to happen, for awhile now."

Maya felt like she couldn't breathe. Where was air when she needed it?

"You like me, don't you? No one kisses another person like that when they're worried."

Maya met his eyes.

"Alright. Fine. Yes. I like you. Do you?"

"I do."

Maya nodded. "Okay."

Maya blinked and glanced around. Welp, this is awkward. She met his eyes once again, deciding to confirm and assure herself, "So we're dating?"

"Definitely."

Maya nodded. "Okay. Alright. I'm your girlfriend. Cool. Cool."

A pause.

 "I'm feeling hungry."

Ved smiled. "I gladly offer myself."

Maya's eyes widened. "What? No, I meant food. Actual, edible food."

Ved burst out laughing. "I'm just messing with you. I'll serve you your food. But before that..." He quickly pecked her lips and picked up his bags. Then, he nonchalantly pulled out the packaged food and placed it on plates.

Maya let out a long breath and slumped against the wall.

She was in a relationship now. Just half an hour back, she was single.

Wow.

˚₊ ❄︎

wordcount: 820 words