11 | the fortune teller

30th december 2013

"THE FORTUNE TELLER is super popular. Apparently, it's a tradition for everyone in town to get their readings from her. We should too!" Saina declared from the bed, where she was lazing around.

"You do know things like fortune and readings aren't real, right? They don't work." Maya retorted, her head lifting from her sketch. The strain on her neck led her to groan and rotate her head a couple times.

"Doesn't matter. We're going there!"

An hour later, all of them were padding to the town square. Only Saina looked excited about it. "What if I get a super good luck fortune or something this year?"

"Then, that would be fraud." Maya muttered.

Her room-mate narrowed her eyes on her. "What if you get a super bad luck fortune?"

"It would still be fraud."

"She's incorrigible, ugh." Saina decided to ignore her, for her own mental well-being.

There was a long queue outside the fortune teller's stall. Maya glanced at the crowd and frowned in distaste.

"This right here is a live visual of stupidity."

"And we're all also standing in the crowd of 'stupid' people." Ved remarked, amused.

Maya couldn't respond to it. She simply narrowed her eyes at Saina who was collecting tickets at the ticket booth.

She joined them, after a few minutes brandishing her tickets.

"Apparently, we also get free food along with getting a fortune reading."

"No wonder so many people are here." Things now made sense to Maya.

After an hour's wait, they managed to enter the fortune teller's stall.

"Two at a time please!"

Gaurav and Saina entered first. 

Five minutes later, Ved and Maya went in.

The fortune teller was a young woman, her eyes sparkling and her legs bouncing.

"Well, hello there lovebirds. Let's check your crystal ball about what reading you need."

Maya leaned forward to correct her but was not given a chance to speak. 

"Well, that's a surprise! I haven't witnessed this for any of the other couples who visited today."

Maya glanced at the crystal ball that had turned pink.

"The two of you are true soulmates. You will lift each other up and will find each other whenever either of you are feeling down."

"You will love and live together for your entire life."

Maya stared at the woman with wide eyes.

They weren't a couple!

"Um, ma'am, we aren't a couple-"

"See, I keep telling you. We're meant for each other. Why don't you just accept it?" Ved suddenly cut in, leaning towards Maya slightly. His eyes twinkled with amusement, mischief and...joy?

"I- No- That's not- Look, we-"

"It would be nice if you weren't so difficult about this, Maya. There are things that might be a hurdle for us but we'll get through it together!"

"What? No-"

"What are you waiting for? You won't ever meet anyone else who's as suited for you as him!" The fortune teller chided her.

Maya, "..."

We aren't a couple! We're not romantically related!

Ved snickered silently when the woman was not looking and switched to his dramatic expression when she did.

Maya , "..."

This guy! He should be an actor instead of a director!

"So? Will you get together with him?"

"I..." Maya glanced at Ved, who signalled for her to say yes. The little-

"Fine, yes."

Ved sniffled, "She finally said yes."

The lady comforted him and congratulated Maya. "The two of you will make a very harmonious couple. I'm so glad you came to me and I was able to match you two together. For this wonderful occasion, I'll refund the fee of the ticket. Okay? Now, go and enjoy your food!"

The new couple finally managed to leave the tent through the backside.

On their way out, Maya glared at Ved, who laughed, in response.

"Wasn't that fun?"

"What part of it was fun?"

"Well, we get our money back."

"So, that was your objective?"

Ved ceased laughing at that question. With a soft smile on his face, his eyes met with hers. It contained an indecipherable look.

"No. Not at all."

˚₊ ❄︎

wordcount: 635 words