18 | movie date

MAYA PRESSED on the doorbell, before taking a step back and composing herself. Her small purse hung from her curled palm, carelessly.

Sounds of barking were heard from the other side of the door. Then, the sound of footsteps were heard.

The door opened.

"Maya?" A suprised Ved stood in front of her. He was wearing a white pajama set, with a grey cardigan.

"Hi. I came to-"

"Come in. It's cold outside."

Maya obliged. As soon as she stepped in, she was greeted with an enthusiastic Snowy, who engaged in hopping and jumping around, stopping her journey into the living room.

"Hi there, cutie. How are you doing today?" Maya ruffled his fur, petting him and showering him attention.

"Down, Snowy."

Snowy reluctantly stopped his movements after a few more repeats of the order. Once he settled, Maya walked over to the sofa and sat down.

Ved walked to the kitchen, continuing the cooking he was in the middle of.

"I came here to say that I accept your offer."

"Great. I'll set up a contract with the production company. Is anyone else joining-"

"Yes, my assistant."

"Send me her details. I'll draw up a contract for her, as well."

"Sure."

Maya watched his smooth movements around the kitchen. "You can cook?"

"Not really. It's mediocre, at best."

Maya remained quiet. She should be going but she wanted to talk a little further. She glanced at Snowy, who had his eyes on her, wagging his tail. He was seated right next to her foot.

"I saw your movies."

Ved's movements stilled, for a second. His limbs then continued moving as if it had never paused for a second. 

"Is that so?" was his nonchalant reply.

"Yeah. I figured, if i was going to work for you, then I need to have an understanding of your style of movie making and costumes."

Ved added tomato puree to whatever he was cooking on his stove.

"I watched 12 days in Bundok. The costumes were quite good. The male lead's clothes perfectly captured and represented him throughout. I didn't understand how you were dissatisfied with it."

"The female lead's clothes."

"Pardon?"

Ved inspected the vessel on his stove keenly. Then, he glanced at the other vessel, also kept on the stove.

"I was not satisfied with the female lead's clothes."

"Her clothes were good too." While Maya did make the statement, she herself couldn't help but feel that the clothes were off, for her character.

"They were clothes from the stores in Bundok. They were too ordinary to match an ambitious fashion designer."

Maya processed his words.

"This time, I want clothes that fit a fashion designer from Pulan. Clothes that a grown woman, who's well versed with the fashion industry, wears."

Maya felt the tension building from her stomach to her throat. But, she needed to voice the question.