20 | shooting

IT WAS DAY ONE of shooting. 

In actuality, the shooting wasn't supposed to start until december 21st. However, Ved felt the weather was perfect to shoot a particular scene and hence decided to begin shooting then and there.

Maya had her arms folded into her chest, her gaze bouncing from the actor to the actress. 

It was the scene of the female lead meeting the male lead again. This time, they had met right outside the building where the female lead's fashion show was conducted.

This was part of the chain of scenes that Ved wanted to shoot together. It was simply multiple shots put together and named as a particular scene.

The first shot involved models strutting a fake ramp, a prop constructed purely for the film and the audience applauding. The next shot involved the female lead getting up the stage and thanking everyone, a weary look on her face.

The subsequent shot was of the male lead, seated far away from the ramp, watching her with a look that was undecipherable.

The shot that they were currently filming was the female lead resting on a bench backstage. The male lead finally approached her after many years.

"Cut! Kiara, what did I just say now?"

Kiara let out a harsh breath, "I'm sorry, I'll try again."

"Start over."

They began shooting, once more.

"It's been a long time." Kiara tucked her hair behind her ear, making an awkward expression.

 Atharv smiled at her. "How have you been?"

Kiara wore a hesitant, small smile. "As fine as I can be, I guess. What about you?"

Atharv gazed at her through his hooded eyes that revealed nothing. Maya watched in fascination. 

"Not bad myself."

The conversation encountered a small pause. Kiara quickly picked up her bag, stringing it along her shoulder. 

"I should get going-"

"I'll drop you."

Maya blinked, her eyebrows furrowing. She knew the original movie was completely based off their interactions. But, she had thought this movie would be completely different, given that they had no interactions over the past 10 years.

But, it was exactly how they had met again. This only confirmed the multitude of suspicions brimming within Maya.

The scene was successfully finished. Kiara fanned herself as she dropped into her chair, letting out a sigh of relief. Her co-actor picked up a water bottle next to her and gulped it down.

"Say, does the skirt need any adjustment?" Maya kneeled down and inspected the skirt Kiara was wearing. It was a black, long skirt paired with a puff-sleeved blouse. 

"Nope! It's comfortable." Kiara grinned at her. The actress glanced around, before leaning closer to Maya.

"You're close to the director, aren't ya?"

Maya blinked at the question. "I...wouldn't say close, no. I'm an acquaintance is all."

Kiara watched her expression. Then, she leaned back, clicking her tongue. "So the two of you are still in that stage, huh. Here I thought I'd get some blackmail material."

Maya, "...?"

What stage? What blackmail material?

Kiara clicked her tongue again, closing her disappointed eyes. "If I had some blackmail material, I'd be able to make him go easy on me during shooting."

Maya blinked. So that's what she meant. But how would she be able to get blackmail material from me?

Maya did feel sorry for her. 

They had to retake one of the shots nearly 15 times and she could tell Kiara was on the verge of crying.

Then, her co-actor made a comment. "So this is the effect those romcom movies you've acted in, has had on you."

Then, Kiara came back with a vengeance. She had very less re-takes.

Said co-actor, Atharv chuckled at the statement. "Good luck doing useless things." And he sauntered away.

Kiara grit her teeth. "That f@#$#%% b!##$%^!!!!!"

She went on a cursing rant.

Maya coolly stepped back and stood next to her assistant.

Her assistant munched on peanuts. "I saw that one clip of those two in an awards ceremony."

Maya raised her eyebrow, in question.

"In this one awards ceremony, Kiara and Atharv were seated together. Kiara dropped her water bottle. Atharv picked it up and whispered something to her." Her assistant paused. "Don't you know? It went viral. It even became a meme."

Maya felt outdated. She didn't know of any such clip.

"What is interesting is I noticed something. Right after, he whispered something, she shot him a smile. A very fake smile. So fake I could see the fakeness dripping from her face."

Maya didn't know how to respond to that.

"Now it all makes so much more sense. Those people shipping these two on the internet are dead wrong."

Maya watched the two of them bicker. 

"Now, I wouldn't say dead wrong."

Her assistant glanced at her. "But they keep fighting with each other. Whenever they see each other, they snap at each other."

Maya smiled. "I don't think that's enmity."

Her assistant shot her a dubious look. "And how would you know that?"

Maya patted her back, turning around. "Once upon a time, I played cupid, you know."

The assistant gave her a once over.

"I find that very hard to believe. I thought you hated love." 

Maya glanced at Ved, who was part of the group of cameramen huddled around the cameras and inspecting things.

"I wouldn't say I hate love. I'm just still looking for it."

˚₊ ❄︎

wordcount: 880 words