16 | new offers

MAYA CARRIED her boxes and placed them on the ground, one by one. Her assistant huffed and puffed as she helped Maya, her expression furious.

"You're literally their main money maker. It's the clothes you design for them that's actually selling and making them money but they don't even give you a send off party! They don't even acknowledge you!"

"It's good that they didn't. I'd feel awkward if they did."

Her assistant pouted, watching her with sad eyes. "I'll be quitting today, miss. So, don't be worried, okay?"

Maya laughed. "I'm not worried, my girl. Now, go and finish up your work. I can take care of this."

The assistant left, promptly, continuing to mutter curses on Maya's behalf.

Maya sat down on a bench near the entrance of the office camp. She rested her head on the top of it, staring at the sky above her. Her mind played all her memories in the company on a loop. It had been her first ever company and the only company she had worked in, in her career.

"Well, that's that."

That was the end of that chapter in her life.

Now, she needed to move forward. But where...?

For the time being, she would have to do freelance work...

She had already submitted her resume to a few companies. She had great credentials and she had been recruited into a top company straight out of college.

She assured herself that she would get a job. It was something she had been repeating to herself a lot.

Since when had her confidence been so low?

"Hi there. You've quit?"

Maya tilted her head to gaze at Ved. "You're here?"

"Woof!" 

Maya looked down and found a white, furry dog near her heels, wagging it's tail at her. "Looks like Snowy has taken a liking to you too."

Too?

Maya smiled and lifted herself, bending to pet the dog. "Hi there, Snowy. How you doing?"

She received an enthusiastic 'Woof!'. She smiled and looked up at Ved.

"You're going on a stroll with your dog?"

Ved's lips curved. "Well, not exactly. I was on my way to you when my dog decided he too wanted to meet you. He wouldn't take no for an answer."

"Meet me? What for?"

"I'm not quite sure."

"No, I mean, why did you want to meet me?"

"I have an offer." Ved sat down beside her, his dog also obediently seated to watch the proceedings. 

"An offer?"

"Work as a costume director in the movie I'm currently working on."

"Movie...?"

"The sequel to 12 days in Bundok."

Maya blinked. A glance at Ved assured her that there definitely was some sort of double meaning to what he said.

"A sequel?"

"I trust that you've watched the movie?"

Maya nodded, slowly. 

"My mother has been wanting a sequel for that movie for a long time. I decided now might be the right time to do it."

Maya took a moment to process all the information being carelessly offered to her. "I'm not...a costume director. I've no prior experience in the field-"

"You took a double major, didn't you? Fashion design and Costume designing for films?"

"Well, yes...but it was supposed to be a back up option-"

"I think it's time you consider the back up option, don't you think?"

Maya looked down at the dog, who keenly watched her.

"I'm not trying to pressurize you into anything. It's your choice, of course. Think about it."

A pause.

"The only film of mine in which I felt satisfied with the costume was my debut film. You were the one who acted as the costume designer for that one-"

"All I did was say that white suited the girl better-"

"And that one statement helped leave a deep impression on everyone who watched it. Costumes worn by characters in films play a subtle but important role and...I feel that if we work together again, this sequel will be even better than the first."

Maya pursed her lips. She leaned her head back, once again staring at the grey skies looking above her. Winter in Pulan was characterized by grey skies all day long.

"I was so sure of myself." She started. "I thought by this time I'd have been in a high post in a luxury brand, living my dream. Yet, here I am. An obscure nobody in this world. I don't even have someone I can say I love nor do I have a career I can blame my lack of work-life balance on."

"A long time back, you told me that the two of us want a challenge in our lives. Maybe...you haven't managed to win over the challenge. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist anymore, does it?"

Maya contemplated his words. It seemed to light up the flame in her heart, that had grown dull and nearly extinguished over the years.

"You're still solving the puzzle that's your life, Maya. Just take your time with it."

"Never thought I'd get to the point where I'd be getting the same advice I gave you."

Ved laughed, in response. "Funny, isn't it? How life turns out."

"But I needed it. I needed to hear those words again. Thank you."

Ved gazed at her. "You never have to thank me."

"I'll need some time to think about your offer." Maya sat up, straight. "But I'll get back to you soon."

Ved nodded, standing up. At that moment, Maya's assistant came scurrying out. "Let me help you with the boxes, miss. I'm done with all the formalities."

Maya smiled at her. "Alright."

Ved smiled at her and bid her a soft 'see you later'. Snowy let out a 'woof!' and followed his dad back home.

Ved glanced at Snowy before looking back ahead.

"Do you think we've succeeded in our mission?"

"Woof!"

"There's a 95% chance she might agree."

A whimper on his dog's side.

"Yes, that's unfortunate. We need to get ahold of that 5%, somehow."

"Woof?"

"It's not a problem, Snowy. That's why we have Saina." Ved's lips curved. His plan was set.

˚₊ ❄︎

wordcount: 1015 words