13 | meet you on the big stage

1st January 2014

"YOU'VE PACKED your charger? I remember it lying on that table there." Saina called out from the kitchen of the cabin.

"Yeah, I've put it in." Maya responded, dumping clothes into her duffel bag.

"So, we've cleaned up everything, right? Everything packed?"

"Yeah. We have to leave the keys with the cabin company's office. It's downtown."

"Okay!"

The two girls, then, dragged out their luggages and waited outside for Gaurav to join them.

"Man, I can't believe we're leaving already. It feels like just yesterday when I saw this cabin for the first time."

"Technically, you were only here for a short stay, so..."

"Don't kill the mood, Maya. This is my time to play the role of the female lead of young adult movies."

"The only thing missing is you saying goodbye to the love of your life."

Saina waved her hand, dismissing it. "That can be arranged."

Gaurav stepped out at that moment. Stringing his bag along his shoulder, he padded to them. "Shall we get going?"

"Gaurav, I've had fun here with you." 

Gaurav checked his pockets and his bag one more time. "Yeah, me too."

"It's unfortunate...that we have to say goodbye now." Saina glanced at him and lowered her eyes, her lips quivering.

Gaurav eyed her. "What are you saying?"

"Will we ever meet again?"

"Saina, I'm going with you back to the university. What are you talking about?"

"Goddamn it, can't you play along? I'm-" Saina began lecturing Gaurav. Maya snickered, watching the show. She checked her watch. 

Behind the couple, Ved locked the door of the cabin and whirled the keys around on his finger. "Shall we get going?"

The bickering couple stayed quiet and obediently followed him, while still shooting glares at each other.

 "You enjoyed your stay?" Ved kept in pace with Maya.

"Yeah, I did. It was a good change of scenery for me."

Ved hummed. 

It was silent all the way to the train station, after that.

Maya placed her bags down and waited for the train to arrive. She pulled out her phone and scrolled through her contacts when she suddenly realized something. 

"I never asked you for your number."

Ved pulled out his phone and the two exchanged numbers.

The train arrived, as soon as they were done. Saina and Gaurav boarded the train first. The station was pretty much empty. Not many people were on their way to Pulan from Bundok, it appeared.

Maya placed her bags inside and stepped in. She turned around to face Ved. 

"I'll meet you on the big stage, then."

"The big stage?"

"I meant, after you've succeeded in your goals. My aunt and I use that term for it. Big Stage."

"Then, I'll meet you there too. On the big stage."

Maya smiled and proceeded in.

In a minute, the train took off, continuing on the track it arrived in.

Ved watched the train disappear into the horizon. He waited until he couldn't see the wisp of smoke emitting from the train. Then, he padded out of the train station, gazing at the sky and the ground, from time to time, alternating between the two.

Once he reached the lighthouse, he began the tedious task of climbing up. Once he was at the topmost level, he pulled out his phone.

His screen displayed a message from Gaurav.

Gaurav
Why didn't you tell her?

Ved stared at the message for a long time. His mind was a chaotic mess. It was like a grey sky filled with stormy, angry clouds that refused to clear.

 Finally he typed in his response and put it away.

After walking back to his cabin, he threw himself into his work.

On the train, Gaurav's phone screen lit up. It displayed a message - a short, one line statement.

I can't say it right now. 

˚₊ ❄︎

wordcount: 644 words