Chapter 40: Sharing a Hotpot Meal

"Mr. Nan, how about I serve it on the balcony?" the housekeeper suggested.

The afternoon haze had lifted a bit. Though the sun wasn't visible, there was a warm golden hue in the air.

The housekeeper was aware that young folks nowadays cherished outdoor dining for its relaxed ambiance.

Nan Yi's eyes sparkled, his nod more vigorous than usual.

"It's ready."

"Mr. Nan, you may head upstairs. I'll bring everything up shortly."

Nan Yi remained seated, reaching for the sliced beef and tripe beside him. With so many dishes, it would take the housekeeper a while to serve everything. But with his help, the process would be expedited.

"Sir, please go ahead. I'll handle this."

The plate was lifted from his hands. When Nan Yi glanced over, it was the new butler.

With assistance available, Nan Yi took his bowl and ascended.

A conspicuous black umbrella, seemingly out of place, now occupied the open-air balcony.

Holding his bowl, Nan Yi paused. Thanks to this addition, even a drizzle wouldn't dampen the mood.

Beneath the umbrella stood a table and chairs. In no time, the housekeeper and the butler had arranged all the dishes and the broth. Connected to an indoor power source, an induction cooktop sat on the table, allowing for continuous cooking and eating.

The wooden condiment rack was laden with a myriad of dipping sauces – the essential accompaniment to hotpot.

[Auntie, you're so impressive.]

Instead of reaching for the condiments first, Nan Yi genuinely admired the housekeeper's handiwork.

"Haha, thank you for the compliment, Mr. Nan." The housekeeper chuckled, glancing at Nan Yi's phone.

[Why don't you both join in?]

Hotpot is always more delectable when shared. Plus, the housekeeper had prepared such an abundance of ingredients that Nan Yi couldn't possibly finish it all by himself.

Nan Yi showed the message on his phone to the standing housekeeper and the new butler, then gestured towards the simmering pot.

"Oh no, I couldn't! And I can't handle spicy," the housekeeper said, declining in haste.

[There's too much here for just me.] Nan Yi was hoping to persuade them by invoking their sense of waste, aiming to share the meal with them.

"The young master will be back shortly," the butler remarked.

Nan Yi's hand, holding the phone, paused momentarily.

He Yushen is returning this early today?

Is he joining for hotpot as well?

Nan Yi was utterly puzzled.

Before he could type out a question asking if He Yushen was joining them, the housekeeper and butler had already exited the balcony.

Nan Yi: ???

No matter.

Regardless of He Yushen's participation, Nan Yi was determined to indulge.

Merely inhaling the aromas, Nan Yi felt his mouth watering.

He started with a slice of fatty beef, then swished some tripe, dipping it into his homemade sesame sauce.