Chapter 44: Nan Zhi returns!

After that day, He Yu Shen became busy again, while Nan Yi wondered when to retrieve the test results.

His painting had been somewhat distracted recently, only finishing this week's work on the last day.

He kept recalling that fleeting glimpse of a face at the hospital entrance, convinced he couldn't have been mistaken.

He decided to go home and see for himself.

Nan Yi left in the afternoon. The sun was warm when he departed, but by the time he reached home, there was a light drizzle.

"Is this the residence, madam?"

Nan Yi nodded and stepped out of the car.

The house had been renovated. The duplex entrance seemed much taller, and two stone lions now flanked the door.

He remembered they weren't there the day he left.

It seems Nan Zhi Min's recent business ventures had been fruitful, amassing quite a fortune.

The driver, seeing him alight, hurriedly followed with an umbrella, though the drizzle was too light to really matter.

Nan Yi had bought numerous gifts, spending most of his savings. Thankfully, his salary would be paid in another half month.

"Madam, let me help you with that."

Xiao Wang, holding the umbrella, offered to take some items from Nan Yi.

Nan Yi smiled and gently shook his head.

He didn't invite Xiao Wang inside. Selfishly, he didn't want an outsider to witness him being despised.

An additional swimming pool and fish pond now grace the courtyard, a testament to Nan Zhaimin's ever-quirky taste.

The house echoed with laughter and chatter. As Nan Yi ascended the two steps to the living room, he froze upon taking in the scene inside.

Besides Nan Zhaimin, Xu Fang, and his half-sister who's an omega, there was one more person.

It was the long-lost Nan Zhi.

That face, lively and innocent, resembling his own, made Nan Yi's expression change.

It was indeed Nan Zhi he had seen at the hospital. He hadn't been mistaken.

His steps felt as though they were weighed down with lead, making his entrance heavy.

"Oh, when did Little Yi return?"

The sharp voice of Xu Fang, who was the first to notice Nan Yi, chimed in.

At her words, everyone's gaze turned towards the entrance.

"What bad luck!" The sixteen-year-old Nan Xin, with evident disdain, spoke openly, truly lacking Xu Fang's pretense of civility.

Nan Yi walked into the room, handing his gifts to a nearby servant.

Moments passed and still, no one accepted them, even the servant seemed to ignore Nan Yi.

"Why are you back?" Nan Zhaimin's face darkened, his tone devoid of the joy of a child's return, only disdain.

Nan Yi simply remained silent, placing the gifts he brought on a chair.

"Brother's back." Nan Zhi exclaimed with a smile, even standing up excitedly.