Ch. 12 *Melanie's Birthday*

*Two Weeks Later*
MELANIE..

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MELANIE!"

I wake with a scream and fall off my bed, only to see Charlie holding a black sheet cake with decorative skull art, Vaggie blowing a whistle with a sour look on her face because she was forced to wear a party hat, and Angel throwing confetti at me while he too, wears a pink party hat.

Holy shit I forgot it was my birthday!

I laugh, standing up. "Wow! Uh, thanks!" I laugh nervously.
My birthday was never really celebrated when I was young, so this is a little awkward.

But I know Charlie means well, so I don't want to spoil that.
She giggles, hugging me tightly. "Blow out the candles!"
I inhale a breath and blow out the candles, and everyone cheers.

"Hurry up and get dressed! The presents are downstairs!" Charlie runs back out of my room with Vaggie and Angel, leaving me laughing at there cuteness.

Gosh, what did I do to deserve such good friends and an awesome sister?

When I get dressed and go downstairs, the entire main room of the hotel is decorated with streamers, balloons, and a table with presents stacked in the corner.

Charlie gets up and grabs my hand, dragging me to the couch where Vaggie, Angel, and even Alastor sits.
Alastor nods at me, smiling softly.

My cheeks feel hot.

"Open your presents! Here! Mine first," she passes me a little box tied with a bow.
I pull the ribbon and open it, only to see a STUNNING black pearl bracelet, with a silver skull as a charm, and a red heart shaped diamond for its center.

"Oh my gosh Charlie thank you!" I hug her tightly and she giggles. "You're welcome sis."

Next I open Vaggie's which was only a crop top gray T shirt with a frowny face on it, which Angel kept repeatedly saying that wasn't a real gift.

But when I opened Angel's gift...oh boy.
It was a black one piece that looks like a swim suit, but has WAY to many spots that's revealing, and is made of leather.

Charlie rolls her eyes. "Are you serious?"
"WHAT?!" Angel exclaims, "that's the best gift yet!"

While they're bickering, Alastor leans in and whispers.
"You will make a deal with me right now that you will NEVER wear that THING."

I scoff/laugh. "Oh?" I turn towards him. "And if I don't make that deal?"
His eyes widen in horror, and he quickly grabs my hand and shakes it, both our hands glowing green.

"Did you just make a deal?!" Vaggie asks.
Alastor frowns at her. "That is not your business, my dear."

I laugh behind my hand.
But I guess I can't wear that gift Angel got me. Nobody breaks a deal with Alastor and not pay for it.

"Hey where's your gift Al?" Angel asks.
He smiles. "My gift is right here," he passes me a bouquet of roses. "I wish you the best birthday."

"JUST flowers?!" Angel exclaim, "nothing else?!"
"Now now, its a sweet gift," Charlie grins, eyeing Angel and Alastor in a worried way.

I giggle. "Guys, I don't need to get spoiled. The best gift you'll ever give me, are all of us spending time together. Happy, and safe."

"Bravo!" Charlie giggles, hugging me tightly. "Happy birthday Mel!"

"Happy birthday Mel!"
And after that, we all get up and go for cake.
Except Alastor. Who hates sweets.

***

We partied for the whole day, watched TV, sang some songs, danced, and just had a hell of a time.

But later, when I went upstairs to my room, Alastor was there.
With a TON of flowers, and a box of candy...

"What's this?" I ask giggling as he stands up and kisses my cheek softly.
"Oh? You thought I would give you just flowers for you birthday? No no no that simply won't do!"

He leads me to my bed where all the flowers lay, the candy, and even a deer stuffed animal.
Ohhhhhh my heart!!!!!

I giggle, picking up the stuffed toy and holding it against my chest.
"Aww, thanks Al!"
"Always a pleasure, my darling." He grins, "but I have one last gift for you."

He holds out a silver necklace, shaped like a pentagram with a red gemstone in its center.
I gasp, taking it from his hand to admire it.

"Oh my gosh this is beautiful!" I say, before I hand it back to him. "Can you help me put it on?"

"Of course," he unclips the necklace, and pulls its end up my neck, before he gently clips it.
His fingers graze my skin, and I can't help but shudder, in a good way, of course.

After that, I turn around.
"So? What do you think?"

He stares at me in silence for a moment, before grinning.
"Absolutely stunning," he responds.
"Me or the necklace?" I joke, before he pulls me into a kiss.

I make a muffled gasp from the sudden contact, but I certainly don't pull away.
I kiss him back for as long as I can, until he breaks away, his smile softening.

"Both," he whispers.

My heart's pounding.
He snaps his fingers, and a book appears. A book called "To Kill A Mockingbird."

"My mother used to read this to me when I was little," he responds, fingers tracing the grooves of the book. "Shall I read it to you?"
HE WANTS TO READ TO ME?!! Is this a dream?!

I nod, and he leads me to the bed.

He lays with his back propped up, and I lay beside him, curling into his side, resting my head on his shoulder as he begins to read the first chapter.

His voice is so soft...so soothing, I can't help but feel myself being read to a slumber.
But luckily, I force my eyes to stay awake.

I look up at him, my heart pounding.
I've never told him before...and right now, is the perfect moment to do so.

"I love you."

He stops reading, his body stiffening under me.
Worry fills my chest.
No...its okay, he's just not used to this...nothing to fear.

"You don't have to say it back," I whisper, trying to smile, "I already know how you feel."
I curl back into his side, waiting for him to read.

Which he doesn't.
"Alastor?" I ask.
Oh god did I break him?

He snaps back into reality. "My apologies," he says, clearing his throat and continuing to read.

I exhale a sigh, listening to him read.
I keep hoping he'll say 'I love you' back, but throughout the whole time he's been here...he didn't say it.
Why...is that?

Surely, he feels the same, right?