(✨SPECIAL BONUS CHAPTER✨)

(Author's note: This goes back long before the epilogue/spin-offs were written. This is based one year after Alastor and Melanie got married...)

ALASTOR...

I sit on the bed, changed into some black and red striped pajamas, waiting for Melanie to come to bed.
During my wait, I decide to read a little bit more of this new history book I've just started, and out of habit, I hum under my breath.

Suddenly, I feel a pair of arms throw themselves around me in an excited manner.
I flinch. "Wha- Melanie!"

"She's ready!" Melanie exclaims, before sitting crossed legged on the bed, holding a piece of drawing paper in her hands.
I'm sorry...she?

I furrow my brow, shifting so that I may glance down and see what my wife has drawn.

On the paper, is a colored sketch of a small child, a girl to be precise, with short red and black hair, eyes that are slightly dark but colorful with golden highlights, and a few freckles on her pale skin, with a bright smile, much like my own, except her teeth aren't fangs, they are pearly whites and straight, just like Melanie's.

"Isn't she pretty?" Melanie whispers softly, one finger softly running down the drawing's face. "I named her Evangeline."

"Darling..." I look at her, noticing the love in her eyes, the happiness...one I haven't seen in a long time.
"What is this?"

"Our child," Melanie smiles, before exhaling a soft breath and shifting so that she can face me. "I spent two weeks drawing it. Do you like it?"

Child? She thinks that this drawing is our child?
We've been married for only a year now, nor have her and I ever mentioned having kids.
I...don't think I'm equipped to be a father. Surely Melanie will understand that.

"Mel...it's just a drawing," I reply.

"I know," she looks at me annoyed, before she holds the drawing up in the air smiling at it, as if she's holding an actual baby in her hands. "But this is what I picture our daughter to look like!"

"Hun," I start to say, how am I going to break this to her? I don't want to hurt her, but I fear that no matter how I put this, her heart will break.

I inhale a breath. "I never thought of having children. I never even thought that I'd even be married. But...when it comes to a child, I don't think that is something we can do..."

Her smile falters, slowly, erasing any amount of joy she felt, being replaced with a pain and sadness that hurts me more then a knife to my skin.

"Oh..." she looks away from me, clutching the drawing in her hand a little tighter. "I...I understand."

"Mel-"

"I figured of such," she says, her eyes getting teary, which she tries her best to hide, but is unable to do so.
She lays on her side, throwing the blankets over her and setting the crumpled drawing on the nightstand beside her. "Just forget it okay? Let's go to sleep."

"Mel, maybe we should talk about this more-"

"No, you made your point clear," she exhales, bringing the blanket to her chin. "I'm tired. I want to go to sleep."