(Spin Off #2)

Alastor x six year old Evangeline

*summary: Evangeline has a nightmare*

ALASTOR...

I couldn't feel the urge to sleep tonight, so when Melanie fell asleep, I slip out of bed and went downstairs to my office.

I sit at my desk, legs propped up as the radio plays, volume turned low so that I won't wake anyone.
My old favorite song plays...one my mother used to sing to me whenever I would feel unhappy.

I can't help but smile a little, feeling the old feelings I used to when I would sit on her knee as she would sing softly in my ear, holding me tightly.

Our moments of peace...before my drunken father would return home, and destroy it.

I exhale a breath, before I hear a soft voice speak behind me.

"Papa?"

I look over my shoulder, seeing Evangeline, (Aka, Eva, for short), standing in the doorway, deer plushie in hand, wearing her red nightgown.

I sit up. "Eva, darling," I motion her to come to me, which she does, and I prop her on my knee. "What are you doing up this late in the night?"

Her face saddens softly, and by just the expression on her face, I know what it is.

"Nightmare?"
She nods.

I wrap an arm around her, holding her comfortingly. 
"I'm terribly sorry, my darling." I brush a hand through her hair. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Monsters," she murmurs, wrapping her arms around me, squeezing me. "Bad monsters."

"Oh, I see. Well, you needn't worry about them, because you have me and your mother just down the hall. Though...if you want, I know something that will help."

She looks up at me, and I smile softly, humming under my breath as I continue to run my hands down her hair, before I murmur the lyrics.

The same song my mother would sing to me...You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile.
And now here I am, singing it to my daughter.

I never imagined myself to be a father, or even a husband on that matter, but meeting Melanie changed it all.
Now, I am blessed, having a wife like Melanie, and a sweet daughter like Evangeline.

At some point, Eva falls asleep, and I gently pick her up, carrying her to her bedroom, before I lay her down, tuck her in, and give her a goodnight kiss.

"Sleep well, sweet Eva,"
I shut her door, and with that, I go back to my bedroom and crawl back into bed, wrapping my arms around my darling wife Melanie.