Chapter Thirty Four

For now, I was stuck with Mason. Everyone chose random numbers and we ended up with Titanic, the 'do you love him' scene where Jack Dawson asks Rose DeWitt if she loves her fiancé. Personally, I think that's a win compared to Oliver who ended up with a Romeo and Juliet balcony scene with Patricia. He definitely had it worse. Some other students got scenes from Othello, The castle of Otranto, Hamlet and I feel so jealous about that.

"Brainstorm with your pair what your side project will be after performing the scene together" Mrs. Brown clapped her hand once "Remember, your literature piece should describe the scene. It's left to you and your pair how you want to split it. One person reads the piece, the other explains the piece or you can share both after the scene is done. Your choice. You have ten minutes to come up with your work plan"

I sat on the chair looking down at my book as Mason sat across me. A storm raged in my head. How will I even work with him? He barely wants to look at me so how am I supposed to act a scene with him? This project is very important for my grade. It's 40% of my English average! I cannot let him mess this up for me.

"Do you love him?" He asked

"What?"

"Do you love him?"

"Him? Who?"

"Don't pretend" he stared into my eyes "do you love him?"

"I don't know what you're talking about "

"Do you love him? The script?" He rose the script of our play in his hands and smirked "who did you think I was talking about? Your boyfriend? Speaking of your boyfriend, how is he doing?"

I see what he did there, he made me look like a confused idiot wondering what he was asking and now he's asking how my boyfriend is doing. What boyfriend? Literally what boyfriend?

"My boyfriend will always be doing well. Why? Because he's with me" I played along with his stupid question and that seems to make him cold "let's not talk about my boyfriend, don't you want to go join your girlfriend? Do us a favor and tweak the system and have it your way"

"Huh?"

"Yes. I'm sure you'll easy bend the system. Make Mrs. Brown change the settings. That way we both get what we want" I spoke

"What if that's not what I want?" he murmured

"What?"

"Nothing" he lied "let's get this project done and over with"

We read through the script and searched up the scene on YouTube and watched the clip. It was a simple scene yet very intimate in a way. Too much eye contact. Too much hand shaking. Too much fake smiling. On the bright side, I get to insult him and says he deserves it.

"Is everything smoothly sailing here" Mrs. Brown walked over "oh, this scene... It's so... What's the word heart warming, full of fire and warmth. I feel in love with this scene, they have such evident chemistry. You know what that means" she glanced at both of us "I'll be judging this harshly. I'll notice any wrong act. Don't ruin it for me" she walked away

Great! Just great!

"Look Mason, we have to take this seriously. I'd do everything by myself but I cannot force you to act like there's some chemistry between us, so please if not the team, do it for the 40%" I asked "for the side project, I think we should do a poem, its classic and short"

"Whatever" he behaved so indifferent towards this. Uh Hello! This is a big deal to me

I rolled my eyes and picked up a pen and a paper. If this pair actually flops, a killer poem will save the day hopefully. I tapped the pen to my cheek and thought of the theme. I watched the clip of the scene once again and absorbed them. Rose's features, Jack's statue, his vibe and wrote a few line.