Part One→Chapter One

It's a clear cold day, with no clouds in sight. November began, so everything is still changing colors. School-wise, all your finals for the semester are coming due soon, so you spend a lot of time studying. While you're not working on schoolwork, you tend to stay indoors. Or even enjoy some time outside, or not...

     Evelyn is a 17-year-old girl, who was sitting on the bench at their local park. She looks up to see Alex, her mom's friend's son, sitting under a tree. She was annoyed by the sight of seeing him. On the other hand, Alex appears to be drawing something, while not looking at his surroundings. He yawned slightly but went back to drawing. Evelyn looked down at her lap and pulled out her phone to check a text message from her mother.

   The text read: 'Hey, honey? can you please tell Alex to ask his mother if they can both come over for dinner? I know you dislike him, but please do it anyway.' She stares at the message blankly, then reluctantly responds: 'I guess so. I can do it right now.'

     Alex pulls one of his earbuds out and looks around, spotting Evelyn. He sighs, not wanting to be around her. Evelyn stands up and walks over to him. She tapped him on the shoulder since she had to do what her mother asked of her. Alex looks up. "What...?"

     Evelyn sighs. "My mom wants me to ask if you and your mother could come over for dinner tonight. After all, they're friends for some damn reason. I have no choice in this matter- my mom forced me to ask."

     Alex rolls his eyes. "Whatever. I'll ask my mom... Anything else?" He asks, clearly annoyed with her. She glares at him, "What else would I need from you?! It's so stupid that you even thought to ask. Anyways, I'll tell my mom that you said that." She says, walking away.

     Alex sighs in relief. "' What else would I need from you?!'" He mocks, going back to drawing.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

     It's around dinner time, and Evelyn is sitting on the couch. Suddenly, she hears a knock on the front door. With a sigh, she got up and walked over to open the door. Alex and his mother, Larisa, are standing at the doorway. Larisa greets Evelyn with a warm smile. .. but on the other hand, Alex walks past both of them to the inside of the living room. He doesn't want to endure his mom rambling. Evelyn glares at Alex as he walks past, but turns her head back to Larisa, giving her a warm smile.

     "Hey Larisa, how have you been? I haven't seen you in a while," Evelyn asks, all her attention on her. She makes sure to look away from Alex– who's sitting on a chair on the other side of the room– and his phone. Larisa smiles warmly at Evelyn.

     "I've been pretty good! How about you?" She asks as her gaze is on Evelyn. Evelyn smiles, "That's good to hear! I've been alright, there have just been some... people who treat me like shit. I don't like seeing or being around them," She turns her head to glare at Alex, but then soon looks back at Larisa. "But I have to suffer it anyways."

     "I'm sorry about Alex," Larisa tells her. "He's... he's a piece of work." She said with a light smile, "You two need to learn to get along... Do you know where your mother is?" Larias asks, looking up at Evelyn.

     "She's in the kitchen making dinner I assume. It's just–so hard– to get along with someone like... that." Evelyn sighs.

     "He'll come around soon hun," Larisa says before walking away. Alex huffs lightly, then turns off his phone, then slides it into his pocket. Evelyn looks around the room, and then the realization that Alex has been in the room the whole time just hit. She starts to walk towards him, but she changes her mind and walks into her bedroom.