Part One→Chapter Ten

After a while, it was close to the end of the day. Alex had gone home and started cleaning, trying to make his room suitable for a younger human being.

     Evelyn's sitting on Alex's bed, her gaze on him. "Are you excited to see your dad and sister again?"

     Alex shoves something into his garbage and nods happily, looking at her. "Mhm! I haven't seen my sister in 3 years, and my dad longer than that," he tells her.

     "That's good! I don't think I've ever met your dad before," she says, looking at him. "So, I only know a little bit about him. I've heard your mom bring him up a lot, but she doesn't do it as often as she used to anymore. And she usually does when you're not around. Like when she comes to my house to talk with my mom. I've heard positive and negative stuff, so I don't know what's true and what isn't. So, how would you describe him?" She asks not a hundred percent if she would get a reply.

     Alex sighs. "Don't listen to any bad things my mother has said... she doesn't like him very much anymore. He's cool, kind, and funny, most of the time. Sometimes he breaks out but it rarely happens." Alex tells her, smiling lightly. "But I guess I could understand why my mom has talked bad about him."

     "Yeah, they broke up so there would be something with just that fact alone. He sounds nice overall though," Evelyn says, putting her hair up. "What does he do when he sees you?"

     Alex finishes up with his room, putting the last few things away. "Uhm.... usually, he takes me out for an hour or two to do whatever. But tonight I know that's not going to be the case," he smiles.

     Just then, there was a sudden knock at his front door. Alex's mom walks in, looking at Alex. "Are you ready for them to come over yet?"

     Alex turns to his mother and nods. "Mhm."

     Larisa nods and walks out. Evelyn examined his room with his eyes because she wasn't sure of what she should be doing.

     Alex smiles at Evelyn. "Come on," he says and walks out of his room. A tall male and a younger female were standing in the living room, talking with Larisa. The child seems to be just listening though.

     Evelyn stands up, taking her hair back down. She follows Alex, staying silent. She doesn't want to fuck anything up.

     Once the little girl saw Alex, she left her father's side, running to him. "Alex!!" She cheers, wrapping him into a hug. Alex smiles, bending down and hugging his sister. "Hello, Kyler."

     Evelyn leans against the wall, just observing them. She doesn't want to do anything wrong, so she stays where she is.

     The male looks over at Alex and grins. "There's my boy!" He says, walking over after Kyler had finally let go. Alex smiles and looks at his father.

     "Hey, Dad," Alex says.

     Evelyn walks over to the couch and sits down. So it doesn't look like she's loitering. She isn't good at social interaction.

     Alex's father, Elijah notices her and looks at Alex. "Who's that?"

     Evelyn looks up but doesn't say anything. She wants Alex to do it for her.

     Alex looks over at Evelyn. "Oh right, sorry Dad, this is Evelyn. Evelyn, my dad, Elijah," he tells the two.

     Elijah smiles brightly, nodding at her. "Nice to meet you, Evelyn."

     Evelyn smiles shyly. "It's nice to meet you too."

     Kyler ran over to her, smiling. "Hello, miss!" She says. "It's nice for there to be another girl around."