Chapter 3

"Do you need a lift to school?" Christina asks, sitting next to me, with a cup of coffee in her hands. Christina, Joel's girlfriend, was like a sister I never had. Absolutely stunning, she was a fashion designer. Somehow, after school she instantly got an internship at a major fashion house and suddenly skyrocketed in the industry.

Joel was finishing his civil engineering degree. The smart little cookie.

"Mia said she would pick me up. Not much of a detour." I sigh, slowly twirling my soggy ceral around the bowl. Christina just looked at me.

"And Joel got you a doctor's appointment for this afternoon?"

After my fall, my wrist somehow has swelled to the size of a small melon. I wish I was exaggerating. I had a bruise on my cheek, and a scattering of bruises and sore muscles over the rest of my body.

"I can come and get you if you need."

"It'll be fine. I can catch the bus." Christina again rolls her eyes.

"Okay. Let me know if that changes." Not feeling the soggy cereal, I pick up the bowl, emptying it out and putting it into the sink.

Saying goodbye to Christina, I grab my bag and walk outside.

My phone buzzes, with a call from Mia.

"Hey Babe." She coos.

"You can't use your phone while driving Mia. We talked about this."

"I know. I got caught up at home. I'm going to be late to school as it is. Can you get to school any other way?"

Sighing, I realize I may need to go back inside and take Christina up on her offer.

"I'll try and get someone else to give me a lift. It's all good. See you at lunch."

Hanging up, I hear the next door neighbor's door slam.

Shoot.

"Do you need to lift Dani? Stayed at Joel's last night?" Connor Marklin.

After that fateful say, we were never friends again.

"I'm okay, I'll get Christina to give me a lift." Not looking up from my phone, I turn back towards the house.

"Come on. It's no big deal." Looking up at him, I notice how intently he was looking at me. I knew that look.

"You know as well as I do that there is no way I am letting you walk back inside that house."

"Fine." I huff. It has not been my luck with people pressuring me into things.

"Cool." He smiles, unlocking his car on the other side of the fence.

Walking down the driveway, and around to the Marklin residence, I hop in the passenger seat of Connor's Mazda.

Connor sits in the driver seat, turning the keys to start the engine, but not starting. He quickly pulls down his visor, to use the mirror to tie his tie, and fix his hair.

Of course.

Buckling up, I sink into the seat. The car smelt like the 'vanillorama' air freshener hanging from the revision mirror.

"Sorry, have to do that before I get to school, or I swear, I will get a detention before I put my feet on solid ground." Connor chuckled. Our school was nice and strict on uniforms. Blazers to be worn at all times, girl's skirts and socks to the right length, and boys ties always on and hair neat.

I couldn't even do my hair this morning with my hand. It was puffy from sleeping in the same ponytail I had in the previous day, but because my hair was stick straight it didn't matter too much.

Starting to drive, Connor slowly reverses down the driveway.

"So how have you been?" Connor asks, once out of the driveway.

"fine."

"Descriptive."

"That's my specialty. What can I say." He chuckles.

The trip was mostly silent, with the except of Connors attempts at conversation. Parking in the student carpark, I quickly hop out of the car. He follows.

"Thanks for the ride."

"Not a problem. How long will you be at Joel's for?"

I shrug my shoulders. Truly I didn't know. It wasn't uncommon for me to stay at Joel's when our parents were away, especially if it was school time. I didn't advertise that I stayed at Joel's when my parents where away. Taylor sure made a big deal that the house was empty, so had frequent parties, which gave my absence from the residence an excuse.

"Well if you need a lift any other morning you know where I live."

"I'll keep that in mind." Giving him a small smile, I walk away, instantly turning my face back into it's default emotionless expression.

My hand ached. A lot. Something was definitely wrong. Luckily, it was cold this morning, so my cardigan under my blazer could be pulled down to cover my hand.

I walk into school, the before school social buzz clouding the air. Who knew the year sevens got so emotional after not seeing each other for 18 hours. Normally we would all meet at a table in the year 12 area, but that seemed pointless this morning, as I was walking past my biology classroom to get there, and the bell was about to go.

Biology. Satan's science. The 'bluff' science. Sitting in my normal seat, second row from the front, against the wall, with the usual spare desk to my side, there are a couple of people in the classroom already. The overly committed students that continually asked the most basic questions, because science, no matter how hard you try, just isn't for some people.

The bell rang, signaling the trickle to turn into a small stream of students to continue filling the seats. Senior classes weren't big. Which was great if you got a good class.

Of course, that wasn't my class.

"I think that we should get a DJ for the party. I mean, its going to be the second best party of the year, apart from your birthday bash, of course." Rachel says, as she takes her seat in the back corner, next to the one and only Taylor Norm.

Taylor nods, agreeing with Rachel about the DJ. Whenever our parents go away, Taylor throws a party or two, or occasionally three.

Our teacher walks in, smiling like usual. Mr Johnson was one of those over enthusiastic teachers that tried nearly too hard to be a friend whilst also being a good teacher.

"Okay guys, get out your books, we have a lot to do this lesson."

Pulling out my binder and pencil case carefully I prepare for a long, tedious day, without my head supporting hand to aid in my napping.